It's Rove and Co. vs. Tea Party: Let the GOP civil war begin

Started by jimmy olsen, February 04, 2013, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 12:31:01 AM
Quote from: dps on February 06, 2013, 10:47:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2013, 08:00:36 PM
Indeed.  The Dems basically dumped the Klan/Southern Democrats, who hadn't really been the base since the immediate aftermath of the Civil War.

Think you got that backdated by about 100 years.

You think?  Democrats on the national level didn't seem to give them much shrift.  They did what they wanted in their shitty states and generally benefited from Dem interventionism, but Democratic policy at the national level was definitely indifferent or inimical to their "regional" interests, e.g. Truman's integrating the armed forces and the Roosevelt and Kennedy appointments to the Warren Court that formed Warren's majority in major "judicially activist" decisions.  If KlanDems were their base, they do not appear to be very beholden to them.
Democrats definitely enabled Jim Crow laws.  I'm going to side with dps;  while Democrats gradually moved away from the KKK faction, it wasn't until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that it stopped being their base.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 12:52:17 AM
The point is KlanDems were marginalized nationally, splintered, and began voting GOP long before the present day.  A base that not only leaves but is practically pushed out isn't much of a base.

They didn't really, their grandkids did.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 07, 2013, 01:42:30 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 12:31:01 AM
Quote from: dps on February 06, 2013, 10:47:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2013, 08:00:36 PM
Indeed.  The Dems basically dumped the Klan/Southern Democrats, who hadn't really been the base since the immediate aftermath of the Civil War.

Think you got that backdated by about 100 years.

You think?  Democrats on the national level didn't seem to give them much shrift.  They did what they wanted in their shitty states and generally benefited from Dem interventionism, but Democratic policy at the national level was definitely indifferent or inimical to their "regional" interests, e.g. Truman's integrating the armed forces and the Roosevelt and Kennedy appointments to the Warren Court that formed Warren's majority in major "judicially activist" decisions.  If KlanDems were their base, they do not appear to be very beholden to them.
Democrats definitely enabled Jim Crow laws.  I'm going to side with dps;  while Democrats gradually moved away from the KKK faction, it wasn't until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that it stopped being their base.

Yeah, I don't know what Ide's smoking.  You see gradual moving away in the early 20th century with some northern Dems supporting anti-lynching laws.  The first real big split was desegregation of the army, but even that wasn't permanent.  The Civil rights acts of the 1960's is what did it, and the transition from Dem to Republican took about a decade for the GOP to completely lured in the "Wallace voters".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

i'm still amazed heitkamp actually beat berg. but after north dakota voted no on all the awful measures it tried to pass a year ago, i suppose i should place some trust in the voters here