News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Polish becomes England's second language

Started by Martinus, January 30, 2013, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on January 30, 2013, 12:23:33 PM
Don't laugh, America's 2nd language is Southern.

I may be wrong, having lived in Atlanta so long, but I think we have more Spanish speakers than people who sound like Ide.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2013, 03:42:36 PM

I may be wrong, having lived in Atlanta so long, but I think we have more Spanish speakers than people who sound like Ide.

The problem with Southernese is you can understand them most of the time.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 12:26:40 PM

Could be worse.

The language of backstabbing traitors?  What is worse then that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2013, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2013, 03:42:36 PM

The problem with Southernese is some of us don't have the time to wait to find out what they're saying.

:bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2013, 08:02:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 12:26:40 PM

Could be worse.

The language of backstabbing traitors?  What is worse then that?

Boston accent, thick NY accent, Ebonics, and Appalachian accent all annoy me more than southern. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 08:37:12 PM
Boston accent, thick NY accent, Ebonics, and Appalachian accent all annoy me more than southern.
You might as well go ahead and explain that Appalachian dialect is distinct from the southern dialects before some other poster ignorant of that fact calls you an idiot. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

mongers

I agree some British accents are highly polished.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Calling Polish a language is stretching the truth a little.  It's just a dialect of barbarian Russian.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Super surprising. I'd have thought there'd be more than that speaking urdu. And only just over 100,000 not speaking English at all? I suspect lying, or at least heavy truth bending (i.e. taking "at all" very literally as not even knowing hello)
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Heck, most native Brits are barely intelligible.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 30, 2013, 01:40:33 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 30, 2013, 01:22:39 PM
Now that I think about it, one of the guys is named Vlad and I don't think that's a Polish name.  But I have seen him talking to another guy who I KNOW is Polish (his name is Wojciech) in what I assumed was the same horrific-sounding language.  Is it possible that some Slavic languages are mutually intelligible? :hmm:

Slavic is the last major Indo-European language group to diverge into different languages back around 1000AD, so I'd think so.
Very good, Timmy. This works more or less as you would guess-Czech-Polish-Rusyn& Ukrainian-Russian. One can often understand simple conversations to the left or right, and many have education in Russian.  South Slavic languages are a bit different due Balkan influence.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I really hate the sound of Polish, but Russian has a real bipolar charm to it, and Czech has a harsh near-Celtic  appeal. I just love the Czechs, though. Favorite small European people.  :wub:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."