Guy jailed for 5 years in the UK for nothing in particular

Started by Richard Hakluyt, January 18, 2013, 08:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2013, 03:20:23 AM
Yeah I think it gets the worst of two worlds - very harsh (from the European perspective) sentencing for crimes characteristic for the Anglosaxon system, and somewhat illiberal (from the American perspective) laws characteristic for the European system.

I thought both this post and the one about parents who pay full tuition with idiot children well thought out and reasonable.

Who are you and what have you done with our Marty?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 03:36:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2013, 03:20:23 AM
Yeah I think it gets the worst of two worlds - very harsh (from the European perspective) sentencing for crimes characteristic for the Anglosaxon system, and somewhat illiberal (from the American perspective) laws characteristic for the European system.

I thought both this post and the one about parents who pay full tuition with idiot children well thought out and reasonable.

Who are you and what have you done with our Marty?

I can be very reasonable when dealing with issues I am not emotionally invested in. :P

Martinus

Incidentally, I spent some time recently talking to a (very interesting, by the way) retired Royal Navy colonel who now works in private consultancy. I was surprised to learn that presently a part of British resentment towards Europe is that the EU/Council of Europe now try to impose their lovey-dowey pinko standards on the UK when dealing with terror suspects and similar undesirables.

So Wags probably couldn't be more wrong when he calls this story "Euros at work".

Richard Hakluyt

The Continentals have highfalutin ideals which are vastly superior to muddled British ideas; the only problem is that they so often end in reigns of terror where thousands are killed. That is why we are so suspicious; reasonably so in my opinion.

Martinus

It's actually quite funny when you consider different countries' perspectives about Europe.

In Poland, the influence of the ECHR is largely viewed as positive, even among the conservatives (even though they denounce an occasional ruling they don't like), seeing it as an important correcting force for Polish law enforcement.

It seems to Brits it's a bunch of Romanians, Greeks and Frenchmen telling them who they can't deport. :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Martinus

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2013, 08:46:26 PM
Quote"While Slee may not have been planning any sort of attack, he could easily have influenced someone else with the propaganda he was uploading."

Seriously?  :lol:

This is a spoof right?

Yeah, because when you do it, you're "influencing someone else with propaganda".  When online news outlets do it with caveats that it's gruesome video, it's called "news".

WTF, England?  Thought you were better than this.

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2013, 12:44:30 AM
Really disagree with the recent trend for giving people big sentences for being wankers.

Yeah, that is definitely not a precedent I want to see set... :whistle:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned