News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

On the US Congress and Compromise

Started by Jacob, December 27, 2012, 04:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interesting bit on US Congress and compromise: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/as-swing-districts-dwindle-can-a-divided-house-stand/?hp&gwh=

The short version: the number of very safe Republican and Democrat seats have been increasing over time, reducing the incentives for Representatives to compromise.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 27, 2012, 04:24:32 PM
Mind your own affairs :angry:

I have interests in the US. As such, they are my affairs.

Admiral Yi

DGuller

I think gerrymandering is the most damaging remnant of flawed democracy we have left.  Slaying it would be the next great leap forward for democracy. 

Unfortunately, I just don't see how it can be slayed by the same politicians that enjoy the spoils of the rotten system.  I can definitely see where Supreme Court has the mandate to do something about it, but unfortunately this Court is not exactly known for strengthening democratic institutions.

Admiral Yi

Even if we were to outlaw gerrymandering we would still have self-segregation.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2012, 04:27:18 PM
Not exactly breaking news Yake.

I didn't suggest it was. Sometimes it's nice to have a look at the numbers.

Razgovory

Ugh.  It's like something that Dguller would jerk off to.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on December 27, 2012, 04:50:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 27, 2012, 04:45:18 PMDon't tread on me.

Don't be a whiner.

He's a Republican.  It's not like he can be a winner, he has take what he can get.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2012, 04:31:39 PM
Even if we were to outlaw gerrymandering we would still have self-segregation.
Yeah, so?  How is that nearly as bad as compared to a bunch of politicians getting together and deciding on how much power your vote has?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 27, 2012, 04:57:57 PM
Yeah, so?  How is that nearly as bad as compared to a bunch of politicians getting together and deciding on how much power your vote has?

I'm not sure it is, and I certainly didn't say it is.  But even in the absence of gerrymandering we would still have a large number of safe seats.

Sheilbh

I think the argument against gerrymandering isn't that it creates partisanship, but that it's corrupt.
Let's bomb Russia!