News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The 1-2C weather and the cold Easterly mitigated against me doing much to day, a wee bit cold on the way home.

Which is annoying as I had loads of energy today, bouncing around, running up the stairs etc, I could have done with a bit of a workout or burn around the block.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I wish I hadn't quit karate.
Did it when I was a teenager but the trouble was the class was increasingly just little kids, their parents and me. And I was moving ever away from being a kid myself. Just not much opportunity out there for adults who aren't experts to get started in martial arts.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

What school of karate was this?

Also, you could have transitioned to a junior instructor. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2013, 12:20:57 PM
What school of karate was this?

Also, you could have transitioned to a junior instructor. :hmm:
I wasn't high level yet, furthest I got was....green IIRC.

Can't remember the name of what type of karate for the life of me.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2013, 02:58:50 PM
Man, this thread is dying on it's arse already and it's not yet February.  :(

Actually managed to get out and do 20 km whilst doing some shopping.

A new target to another 270 miles by the end of February, which'll mean I've done 10,000 miles in the last 24 months.

Well that was easy, popped out and did a 20 km round trip up the valley, which took me over the target.  :) 

The wind being under half yesterdays strength and being a couple of degrees less cold makes a difference. It was trying to snow, but nothing was settling. 

Ed Anger

I didn't do karate because I certified myself a badass.i didn't need a dojo. I am my own Sensei.

Plus, I pack heat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Octavian

Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2013, 09:58:26 AM
I wish I hadn't quit karate.
Did it when I was a teenager but the trouble was the class was increasingly just little kids, their parents and me. And I was moving ever away from being a kid myself. Just not much opportunity out there for adults who aren't experts to get started in martial arts.

Bullshit!

Just contact a club and get started.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

mongers

None of us are doing much, are we ? :unsure:

I say that as I found the topic on page 4.  :P

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on March 04, 2013, 12:12:04 AM
None of us are doing much, are we ? :unsure:

No.  :(
But it looks like spring is coming, all is not lost.

Eddie Teach

I am eating quite a bit.   :lol:  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Working out three days a week.

The first part of the workout is basically the cardio/strength training piece of a boxer's workout - lots of jumprope, jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, medicine ball work, and shadowboxing. If I can find a heavy bag to use I'll start adding some bag work into the mix.

The second part of the workout is weightlifting.
and the horse you rode in on

Josquius

Quote from: Octavian on February 24, 2013, 01:53:02 PM
Bullshit!

Just contact a club and get started.
Where do you live?
In huge cities I'd imagine it is a possibility. Where I'm from in the UK totally not. Where I am in Japan....way too hard core on ability and language. Hopefully if I do move Tokyowards in a few months there should be something friendly to amateur stupid foreigners.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

On month #3 of my dieting, all going well so far ... though I really must get in the habit of eating sensibly *all* the time, not gaining weight over a few years and then dieting back down.  :Embarrass:

Goal: 190 pounds. I'm at 207 now, so another couple of months will do it - I'm not doing any super-crash dieting, slow and steady 10 pounds or so a month reduction is okay for me.

I'm 6' so the high side of "normal" according to the BMI index would be 183, but fuck it. I'll be happy with 190. The real task, of course, is staying there.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on March 06, 2013, 04:42:11 PM
On month #3 of my dieting, all going well so far ... though I really must get in the habit of eating sensibly *all* the time, not gaining weight over a few years and then dieting back down.  :Embarrass:

Goal: 190 pounds. I'm at 207 now, so another couple of months will do it - I'm not doing any super-crash dieting, slow and steady 10 pounds or so a month reduction is okay for me.

I'm 6' so the high side of "normal" according to the BMI index would be 183, but fuck it. I'll be happy with 190. The real task, of course, is staying there.

Malthus good luck with that, though I would say I think even 2.5 lbs per week sounds a bit crash-like to me. 

Though I'm obviously not in any way qualified to say that, saving this is Languish and we all pretty much have an opinion on everything.   :P

mongers

Incidentally I've discovered the one thing that truly tires me out, no not sex, it's standing, standing for any more than half an hour really knocks me out.   :hmm: