News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Ide, are you full vegan or can you do dairy?  If so, for protein do whey isolate protein, it is probably the best for your...er...condition.  It won't add a lot of calories if you drink it in skim milk...

Jesus, you are a myopic idiot.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2013, 08:09:31 PM
Ide, btw, I just started taking a yoga class a few weeks ago. Apart from often being the only guy in there, I was incredibly bad at the stuff. But even though most weeks I've only gone once, I've seen improvement and I don't stand out as the worst anymore. Suck it up and get over being embarrassed.  :P

I'm scarred.  I was often picked last for sports.  One time in college, in my way-lame "wellness" class, I was picked last over a couple of 250lb. girls to play volleyball.  I have to assume there was some kind of personal relationship there, but still.

Also, I think I figured out why I'm not doing enough push-ups.  Because I'm still a fucking katmoid, 17 pounds above his fucking target weight. I just bought a scale.  Should have smashed it to pieces before I stepped upon it.  There are things better left unknown.  The worst thing is I do know I have lost at least two to three pounds a week for the past three weeks, too. :weep:

I mean, I guess it's some consolation that I don't look too fat.  But the number--THE NUMBER HAUNTS ME.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Ide is a heterosexual marti, got it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 09:03:50 PM
Ide, btw, I just started taking a yoga class a few weeks ago. Apart from often being the only guy in there, I was incredibly bad at the stuff. But even though most weeks I've only gone once, I've seen improvement and I don't stand out as the worst anymore. Suck it up and get over being embarrassed.  :P

I'm scarred.  I was often picked last for sports.  One time in college, in my way-lame "wellness" class, I was picked last over a couple of 250lb. girls to play volleyball.  I have to assume there was some kind of personal relationship there, but still.

Also, I think I figured out why I'm not doing enough push-ups.  Because I'm still a fucking katmoid, 17 pounds above his fucking target weight. I just bought a scale.  Should have smashed it to pieces before I stepped upon it.  There are things better left unknown.  The worst thing is I do know I have lost at least two to three pounds a week for the past three weeks, too. :weep:

I mean, I guess it's some consolation that I don't look too fat.  But the number--THE NUMBER HAUNTS ME.

I was picked last for sports too. I'm a terrible athlete--I never had a prayer of making a high school sports team. Only now some people think I border on a sort of super athlete (which is crazy, btw). Why? Because I put some effort into exercising and they don't. When you cross into adulthood natural ability starts to become secondary.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on March 31, 2013, 09:11:01 PM
Ide is a heterosexual marti, got it.

No, I don't pay people for sex.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Al, despite katmai's reality-free rantings to the contrary, I do appreciate the advice quite a bit.  And in some regards (upping protein intake, doing more sets), I intend to and will follow it.  In others (running) I intend to follow it, but may not.  In others still (smoking), I, uh, will let you know. :/  I mean, c'mon, we have got to be close to full-scale organ repair and replacement, right?

In the meantime, maybe I should try Chantix?  There's no way a drug that blocks your ability to feel happiness could affect me negatively, right? :P  (N.B.: I do not work on the Chantix litigation.)
Kinemalogue

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2013, 09:17:54 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 09:03:50 PM

I was picked last for sports too. I'm a terrible athlete--I never had a prayer of making a high school sports team. Only now some people think I border on a sort of super athlete (which is crazy, btw). Why? Because I put some effort into exercising and they don't. When you cross into adulthood natural ability starts to become secondary.

QFT.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2013, 08:10:27 PM
Ide, are you full vegan or can you do dairy?  If so, for protein do whey isolate protein, it is probably the best for your...er...condition.  It won't add a lot of calories if you drink it in skim milk...

Jesus, you are a myopic idiot.

Sorry, PDH, didn't see this till just now.  I'm an ovo-lacto-crypto-pescetarian.  (Go ahead.  You know you want to.  I'll start you out: I drive a wooden car, it doesn't get me far, but it gets me to where I'm going.)  The lack of protein is probably more from dieting and ignorance. -_-
Kinemalogue

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 09:43:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 09:35:18 PM
Al, despite katmai's reality-free rantings to the contrary,
The lack of protein is probably more from dieting and ignorance. -_-

:contract:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

mongers

Ide, as change of heart on my part, just get a fucking bike and head off into the mountains/desert/forests like PDH and stop this navel gazing and emo-bleating.   :rolleyes:

Ideologue

Keep up the good fight, Breaking Away.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2013, 09:54:07 PM
Ide, as change of heart on my part, just get a fucking bike and head off into the mountains/desert/forests like PDH and stop this navel gazing and emo-bleating.   :rolleyes:

On the running vs. biking front...Biking is easier your knees. I sometimes worry about people that get into biking (especially spinning) because it is easy to deceive yourself that you are really exercising. I see obese people at the gym on exercise bikes reading a magazine while pedaling very slowly, likely on a low resistance. You can't really slack your way through a run like that. Also, running typically gives you more bang per unit time--which means shorter workouts.

Done the right way, obviously both are great ways to get exercise.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2013, 10:24:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2013, 09:54:07 PM

On the running vs. biking front...Biking is easier your knees. I sometimes worry about people that get into biking (especially spinning) because it is easy to deceive yourself that you are really exercising. I see obese people at the gym on exercise bikes reading a magazine while pedaling very slowly, likely on a low resistance. You can't really slack your way through a run like that. Also, running typically gives you more bang per unit time--which means shorter workouts.

Done the right way, obviously both are great ways to get exercise.

I think in large part they're apples and oranges, at least in my mind; I've done a fair bit of both and for sure, my knees would now be shot if I'd carried on like I used to with the high impact running. 

Perhaps it's a young man vs an old man's exercise routine, now I have a bit more time and prefer to get about by bike rather than driving somewhere and at another point in the day, having to think about fitting in some explicit exercise like going for a run or god forbid the gym.   :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 09:35:18 PM
Al, despite katmai's reality-free rantings to the contrary, I do appreciate the advice quite a bit.  And in some regards (upping protein intake, doing more sets), I intend to and will follow it.  In others (running) I intend to follow it, but may not.  In others still (smoking), I, uh, will let you know. :/  I mean, c'mon, we have got to be close to full-scale organ repair and replacement, right?

In the meantime, maybe I should try Chantix?  There's no way a drug that blocks your ability to feel happiness could affect me negatively, right? :P  (N.B.: I do not work on the Chantix litigation.)

Ide, on the smoking front, I know I'm not saying anything new, but even beyond the health stuff...In a lot of professional circles smoking is really looked down upon (not to mention effectively impossible in some high rises without disappearing for large parts of the day).