News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2013, 07:32:20 PM
Ide, it sounds like you are short on protein and probably calories.

Also, not to knock your routine too hard, but how long does it take to do a set of 25 pushups? Less than a minute? Maybe you could put in some extra sets, maybe some pull ups, and maybe some weights (curls, bench press). You could probably get some basic exercise equipment very cheap at Wal Mart or Target, and 10 minutes a day with a better diet would probably go a long way.

Wasting your time Al.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

I liked those ensure drinks for a protein boost. Ensure, boost...whatever they were called.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I lift weights too, just not targeting pectoral stuff.  I guess I could buy a bar, but I dunno.

25 is probably t<minute, yeah. (Edited.  Wrong inequality sign.)

My arms seem to respond better than my chest, but I think, after hearing what you've said and looking up what the RDA for protein is, that I'm definitely not eating enough of the right things.  I need something... maybe something made with real peanut butter... but whipped, to be more palatable, contained in a delicious shell of some sort... can you help me out? :P  I guess I'll go get some... uh, yogurt, maybe?  Maybe start cooking soy burgers by themselves.

Not eating enough calories is definitely by design though.  Maybe muscle gain can wait till I've stabilized my weight at 160-165?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: katmai on March 31, 2013, 07:34:22 PM

Also, not to knock your routine too hard, but how long does it take to do a set of 25 pushups? Less than a minute? Maybe you could put in some extra sets, maybe some pull ups, and maybe some weights (curls, bench press). You could probably get some basic exercise equipment very cheap at Wal Mart or Target, and 10 minutes a day with a better diet would probably go a long way.

Wasting your time Al.

A guy on a very low calorie diet is citing chocolate chip cookies as a source of protein and wondering why he isn't seeing gains from 50 seconds of exercise a day. I at least want to say something to ease my conscious.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 07:40:44 PM
I lift weights too, just not targeting pectoral stuff.  I guess I could buy a bar, but I dunno.

My arms seem to respond better than my chest, but I think, after hearing what you've said and looking up what the RDA for protein is, that I'm definitely not eating enough of the right things.  I need something... maybe something made with real peanut butter... but whipped, to be more palatable, contained in a delicious shell of some sort... can you help me out? :P  I guess I'll go get some... uh, yogurt, maybe?  Maybe start cooking soy burgers by themselves.

Not eating enough calories is definitely by design though.  Maybe muscle gain can wait till I've stabilized my weight at 160-165?

I prescribe a peanut butter pie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2013, 07:45:38 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 31, 2013, 07:34:22 PM

Wasting your time Al.

A guy on a very low calorie diet is citing chocolate chip cookies as a source of protein and wondering why he isn't seeing gains from 50 seconds of exercise a day. I at least want to say something to ease my conscious.  :P

I do other stuff.  I do curls, tricep lifts, heil Hitlers, whatever those things are where you lift a weight straight up from your shoulder, and jumping jacks (however, I have been on and off that since I did a lot and it fucked my lungs up something fierce, giving me a cough for three days).

About two weeks ago I decided I'd lost enough weight in the abdominal area to start doing situps again, too.
Kinemalogue

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 07:48:27 PM
and jumping jacks (however, I have been on and off that since I did a lot and it fucked my lungs up something fierce, giving me a cough for three days).

:bleeding:

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on March 31, 2013, 07:49:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 07:48:27 PM
and jumping jacks (however, I have been on and off that since I did a lot and it fucked my lungs up something fierce, giving me a cough for three days).

:bleeding:

Yeah, okay.  This one is fair.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 07:40:44 PM

Protein shakes are an option. I'm really not up on the vegetarian options: I may personally support an entire factory chicken farm.

It would be a much bigger time commitment, but in my experience if you were to seriously take up cardio (say running) with some resistance training, you could somewhat ignore your diet and still be in good shape (but still making sure you get enough protein and not too many sweets).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

I want to start running or swimming.  I just don't want to go and try to do cardio in public where there are a bunch of non-smokers laughing at me because of my lung capacity. <_<

P.S. are they really called heil Hitlers?
Kinemalogue

mongers

Ide, what's the purpose of this program, health, strength, vanity ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 07:54:46 PM
I want to start running or swimming.  I just don't want to go and try to do cardio in public where there are a bunch of non-smokers laughing at me because of my lung capacity. <_<

P.S. are they really called heil Hitlers?

Find a place to run and just go. Most runners either started as adults or had a long enough lay off that they went to zero. Even if anyone cares enough to notice you, no one is going to laugh because you suck--most people were there too. Anyway, we are coming out of winter and a lot of runners don't go out in cold weather, so they are back to zero now.

It will be easy starting out. Just go as slow as you can for as long as you can, and then quit. You probably won't go far at first, maybe just 5 minutes, but you will go a bit further each day. Once you hit 20 minutes of continuous jogging/running, improvement will start to come quickly.

Also, quit smoking.  :P

alfred russel

Ide, btw, I just started taking a yoga class a few weeks ago. Apart from often being the only guy in there, I was incredibly bad at the stuff. But even though most weeks I've only gone once, I've seen improvement and I don't stand out as the worst anymore. Suck it up and get over being embarrassed.  :P