Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2014, 06:33:57 AM

Die fighting.  :(

Seriously, I'd rather that than the alternative.

She would probably disagree, but let's not think about her.

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2014, 08:24:18 AM
Surely business trip people never see much beyond  their hotel and the ugly business park that they're visiting. Not too much opportunity for shenanigans
When I am on business trips I always try to see a bit of the city I am in. Coincidentally, I am going to Bangalore in three weeks and have already started scouting where to go on the half day of free time that I'll have.

Admiral Yi

That's a joke.

Bangalore torpedos are those long tuby explosive thingys they use to breach barbed wire in Shaving Ryan's Privates.

Admiral Yi

You're a good man Boner.  All those nasty things  people say about you behind your back are just not true.

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2014, 06:45:27 AM
Mrs. MIM : Oh, don't worry, the girl I'll be traveling with is much bigger than me and has a lot of muscles.

Me: *So, the only one the rapists will want is you. Wonderful.  :(  *

This looks bad.

I understand your worry, but rationally this is at about the same level of paranoia as someone entirely refusing to go to the US trip because they're afraid they'll be shot because of all the crazy gun nuts in the country.

Especially given it's a business trip; is she going to be taking a lot of dodgy public transport unaccompanied or wandering the streets by herself late at night?

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2014, 08:36:55 AM
Also, if you want to get into Lhasa, you might want to look into it now. I don't know if things have changed, but it has been that it is a bit of a pain in the ass to get into Tibet and you need a guide and a group (which maybe only 2 people?). I don't know if you literally meant a train to Burma (I doubt there is one), but even with them opening up, some of their land borders are closed (don't know about India) and there western region has had some recent unrest and I believe might be off limits to visitors.

Lhasa is hard these days. Every time we're in China we talk about going to Tibet, but it's basically off the table because I'm a Westerner and getting the permits sorted out would be a big pain.

I'm guessing your best bet is some sort of organized tour or as part of a legitimate business trip connected to power brokers in the region. Heading there as an independent traveler is pretty much not going to happen as far as I understand it.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2014, 01:03:46 PM
You're a good man Boner.  All those nasty things  people say about you behind your back are just not true.

What about the ones they say to his face?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2014, 01:43:06 PM
Lhasa is hard these days. Every time we're in China we talk about going to Tibet, but it's basically off the table because I'm a Westerner and getting the permits sorted out would be a big pain.

Huh.  What does being a Westerner have to do with anything?  Do they just presume we all want to climb up on a balcony and scream 'vive le Tibet libre!' or something?  They shouldn't worry, I doubt many people in Tibet can understand French.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2014, 01:40:59 PM
I understand your worry, but rationally this is at about the same level of paranoia as someone entirely refusing to go to the US trip because they're afraid they'll be shot because of all the crazy gun nuts in the country.

You are not really helping your case here Jacob :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2014, 01:40:59 PM

Especially given it's a business trip; is she going to be taking a lot of dodgy public transport unaccompanied or wandering the streets by herself late at night?

I agree with this.  She should be fine, and what would be even more valuable to her than your presence (as useful as that will be) is a local she can trust who knows where and when to travel that is safe.  Since this is a business trip I'm assuming the company involved will provide that.  As long as she doesn't go wandering off alone (or with her other non-Indian friend) she won't have a problem.  I've been to India twice with my wife and my brother/sister in law have been several times and none of us have had a problem in this regard.

Caliga

Also, I've heard good things about Bangalore compared to say Mumbai.  My last company had a contractor based in Bangalore and dudes from there would come over all the time to work with us on stuff.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2014, 03:10:04 PM
Huh.  What does being a Westerner have to do with anything?  Do they just presume we all want to climb up on a balcony and scream 'vive le Tibet libre!' or something?  They shouldn't worry, I doubt many people in Tibet can understand French.

Well... maybe they limit other foreigners too, I don't know. The conversation was about the family going because it's beautiful, but when we looked into getting a permit - and this was through someone who had some pull - the answer was basically "yeah, no; he can't go."

It might have been "no foreigners".

But yeah, the authorities are extremely concerned about outsiders - all Westerners, or just foreigners - going to the wrong places and talking to the wrong people. We are talking about people yelling "vive le Tibet libre"; we're talking about going to look at the wrong kind of monastery and maybe making small-talk with the monks there.