Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2012, 03:48:01 PM
But I tend to shake my head at overly-tricked-out mall ninja/TacticLOL guns like this one.  I could almost see it being useful for long-range shooting competition-- if it weren't for the retarded vertical foregrip.

What's the deal on the wine opener in the stock?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2012, 03:59:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2012, 03:48:01 PM
But I tend to shake my head at overly-tricked-out mall ninja/TacticLOL guns like this one.  I could almost see it being useful for long-range shooting competition-- if it weren't for the retarded vertical foregrip.

What's the deal on the wine opener in the stock?

I honestly don't know for sure, but I think it might be a knob to fine-tune the stock length. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 03:22:03 PM
Get your bites in quick, before the bodies are cold.
Oh, give us a break with this sanctimonious bullshit.  This is no tragic accident, this is a predictable and oft-repeated consequence of a tragically stupid policy we have with regards to guns.  While the radical gun nuts whose idiocy kills other people "respectfully think about the victims of this tragedy" so that they don't have to think about the murderous consequences of their policies, people like myself are thinking about the victims of tomorrow's tragedy.  Today's victims are already dead, tomorrow's victims don't have to be.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on December 14, 2012, 04:16:01 PM
Oh, give us a break with this sanctimonious bullshit.  This is no tragic accident, this is a predictable and oft-repeated consequence of a tragically stupid policy we have with regards to guns.  While the radical gun nuts whose idiocy kills other people "respectfully think about the victims of this tragedy" so that they don't have to think about the murderous consequences of their policies, people like myself are thinking about the victims of tomorrow's tragedy.  Today's victims are already dead, tomorrow's victims don't have to be.

Out of respect for the gunman they should wait until his hands are cold to pry the gun from them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

QuoteOh, give us a break with this sanctimonious bullshit.  This is no tragic accident, this is a predictable and oft-repeated consequence of a tragically stupid policy we have with regards to guns.  While the radical gun nuts whose idiocy kills other people "respectfully think about the victims of this tragedy" so that they don't have to think about the murderous consequences of their policies, people like myself are thinking about the victims of tomorrow's tragedy.  Today's victims are already dead, tomorrow's victims don't have to be.

Well said
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maximus

You can fuck right off. You're not going to fix it this week. Let people grieve and get over the shock. Then, if you haven't forgotten about it in a few days we can work toward a rational solution.

mongers

Indeed.

DG once the ages of the murdered are know, as an actuarial could you work out how many person years have been wiped out ?

I'd guess it's at least 1,500 years.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 04:22:20 PM
You can fuck right off. You're not going to fix it this week. Let people grieve and get over the shock. Then, if you haven't forgotten about it in a few days we can work toward a rational solution.

As 'Butt so enjoys: This.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2012, 04:28:50 PM
DG once the ages of the murdered are know, as an actuarial could you work out how many person years have been wiped out ?

I'd guess it's at least 1,500 years.
I'm not a life actuary, but I'm sure an approximation shouldn't be too hard.  However, I'm not sure what putting a number on such tragedy would illuminate that a figure of 20 dead children wouldn't.

The Brain

If you want to grieve then why are you f-bombing people in a pissing contest thread?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

I am a bit puzzled as to how a discussion on languish about gun control - an obvious issue raised whenever something like this happens - prevents people who need to grieve from grieving.

Also, how does preventing public discourse about a potential solution help anyone?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 14, 2012, 05:24:45 PM

I am a bit puzzled as to how a discussion on languish about gun control - an obvious issue raised whenever something like this happens - prevents people who need to grieve from grieving.

Also, how does preventing public discourse about a potential solution help anyone?

My own take is that if people want to discuss a public policy issue as a result of a tragedy that's fine.

If people have pre-existing axes to grind, and take said tragedy as an excuse to grind said axes, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

I disagree, maybe the President should give an address/interview tomorrow and say, look if you're feeling suicidal, have worrisome thoughts, are on the verge of something/snapping, then just take all of your guns to the local police station and hand them in, no questions asked and try and get some help, go talk to someone. 

Maybe it wouldn't have any effect, but given how powerless the US president is on this 'issue' maybe using the feelings surrounding this madness, it might stop one or two other troubled individuals from doing another gun outrage in the coming weeks or months ?   

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2012, 05:31:00 PM
My own take is that if people want to discuss a public policy issue as a result of a tragedy that's fine.

If people have pre-existing axes to grind, and take said tragedy as an excuse to grind said axes, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Much as I hate to admit it, you have captured my own thoughts exactly.

Use of a tragedy as an anecdote to support an unsupportable position is asinine and borderline assholish.  Especially when using some incident in dictatorship as a counter-anecdote.

Use of a tragedy as a spur to realistic discussion of realistic alternatives is fine, and even commendable.

While I believe that the USSC is dead wrong about how and why the Second Amendment came to be fundamental US law, I don't think that it matters a whole lot.  What matters is that these kinds of incidents don't come out of the blue, and that people like the perp here were allowed to own guns in spite of the fact that people around him almost certainly knew that the perp was a danger to himself and others.  No, I don't have inside knowledge on the case, but I am willing to bet that this will come out in the days ahead. 

There needs to be some way to separate people like this guy from their guns, because his right to keep and bear arms doesn't over-ride the right of 5-year-olds to attend school without being murdered. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!