Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

You know something's a media circus when the real-life trolls try to insert themselves into it. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

One of these days, somebody's going to walk across the street, and bludgeon one of them with a Louisville Slugger.  And they'd be acquitted.

Caliga

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 06:30:56 AM
One of these days, somebody's going to walk across the street, and bludgeon one of them with a Louisville Slugger.  And they'd be acquitted.

I'm always shocked no one from the WBC has ever been killed. People get killed for mouthing off all the time, and often less offensively and over less serious issues than any of the WBC people.

CountDeMoney

No kidding, right?  Especially when they fuck around with servicemen's funerals.  Speaks volumes of the discipline of soldiers and marines not to thump the living fuck out of those whackos right then and there.

Ed Anger

The Warlocks(IIRC) showed up for a funeral here in Ohio when Westboro said they was coming. The Warlocks showed, Westboro didn't.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2012, 08:08:18 AM
Doesn't WBC no-show most of the time?

Supposedly. I would've liked to see the Warlocks in action though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I like watching interviews with that dude's daughter.  Imagine if she had a love child with Charles Manson?  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 17, 2012, 05:22:00 PM
I have a small safe on the nightstand with a four button combo lock on it. I can get the gun out in about two seconds, but nobody else can get it at all. It's not hard to be reasonably responsible about it and make them inaccessible to the kiddies.

The problem then becomes ensuring that the kids don't find out the simple combo, and not leaving it unlocked for some perfectly reasonable reason.

No doubt you are prudent about these things - problem is ensuring that the average idiot is. Always, every day, day in and day out.

Back in the day, almost 40 years ago now, up at the cottage (and generally in the countryside) people just treated guns like any other tool - they were stored on racks, but not locked or anything (what changed that was not safety, but the threat of theft). I myself, when a child, very nearly shot my brothers.

What happened was this: my brothers are (to a child) considerably older than me - 4 and 6 years respectively. I was around 7 or so. My parents left my 13 year old brother in charge and drove to the city for a night for some reason. My two older brothers spent the evening around the fire telling me horror stories (I should mention that this cottage has no electricity). In particular, stories about the "mad axeman" who was reputed to live in the dark woods just outside the cabin. His specialty was sharpening his axe outside the bedroom of his victims before dragging them to a gruesome death. He lived in a tumbledown cabin on the property that was once the home of a madwoman (the cabin and the madwoman parts were true) and the mad axeman was her son (this part was not true, but I believed it).

Late that night, I woke up to the sound of a whetstone being dragged across steel: "wheet, wheet, wheet". I was scared shitless. I called out to my brothers - but they were both gone from their rooms. I heard the "wheet, wheet" sound a few more times, then a slow shuffling through the leaves towards the door ... so I did what any sensible 7 year old would do when threatened by a mad axeman: I grabbed the shotgun off the rack. It was really easy to load (it was a single-shot - you just break it open and slide the shell in) and there was a box of 10 g. shells right there. Then I sat facing the door with the butt of the gun against the wall (not wishing to hurt my shoulder) and finger trembling on the trigger with the gun pointed at the door ... fortunately I didn't pull it right away, as of course it was my brothers who came in, having successfully pranked me.       
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 08:04:09 AM
No kidding, right?  Especially when they fuck around with servicemen's funerals.  Speaks volumes of the discipline of soldiers and marines not to thump the living fuck out of those whackos right then and there.

Somehow I think that parents of the dead kids may be less disciplined.  :ph34r:

OttoVonBismarck

I keep all of my guns in a very heavy steel gun safe. None are at the ready for home protection.

My reasoning was this, after having a child:

1. Loaded guns even with educated children are dangerous.

2. A loaded gun isn't as much home protection as most people think.

The most fanciful situation out there is a home invasion where they bust down the doors. That's the most pressing need for a gun, but in reality unless you have a loaded gun in every room in your house, there is no guarantee at all you'll be able to get to one in such a situation. And if you have a loaded gun in every room in your house, that is all the more dangerous to children.

So even when I kept a revolver in my night stand I think in such a situation, the reality is a home invasion would have to be met with physical force of the hand to hand type unless I was lucky enough to be in my bedroom when it started. Other situations, like someone prowling around the property, setting off the alarm or etc trying to steal--that presents more than enough time for me to get to one of my locked guns.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2012, 10:03:57 AM
The most fanciful situation out there is a home invasion where they bust down the doors. That's the most pressing need for a gun, but in reality unless you have a loaded gun in every room in your house, there is no guarantee at all you'll be able to get to one in such a situation. And if you have a loaded gun in every room in your house, that is all the more dangerous to children.

So even when I kept a revolver in my night stand I think in such a situation, the reality is a home invasion would have to be met with physical force of the hand to hand type unless I was lucky enough to be in my bedroom when it started. Other situations, like someone prowling around the property, setting off the alarm or etc trying to steal--that presents more than enough time for me to get to one of my locked guns.

I used to take off my shoulder holster and hang it on the coat rack when I got home from work.  :unsure:  First thing to come off at the end of the day, last thing to put on going out the door in the morning.

Now, I don't even bother keeping anything around for protection at the ready anymore; I've been out of bail bonds for so long, I doubt anybody still remembers if they want to kill me or not, and mainly because nobody in this town's going to climb three flights of stairs to whack me.  They can wait for me down by the car.

I do keep my handguns in combo lock cases now, because of the cleaning ladies;  still quick enough to get to for the rare pounding at the door at 2am--but that's usually because the Dazzling Urbanites come home drunk as shit, and forget they live downstairs.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 18, 2012, 12:23:59 AM
Don't act all confused.

It's not an act.  I'm still trying to figure out what Susan Rice has to do with this.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 10:15:45 AM
I used to take off my shoulder holster and hang it on the coat rack when I got home from work.  :unsure:  First thing to come off at the end of the day, last thing to put on going out the door in the morning.

Did you shake your head wearily & mumble "I'm gettin' too old for this shit" when you did it? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall