Elementary school shooting reported in Newtown, Conn.

Started by garbon, December 14, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

It's an elementary school.  What the fuck is wrong with some people.

I'd rather this fuck had lived, so he could have that on his conscience for 60 years (or until he fried on death row).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

They're just babies. At that age, they really are just babies. I just can't imagine how their parents/families are going to ever deal with this.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Queequeg

Horrifying.  Haven't felt this terrible about an attack since Beslan. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

I gotta admit, I'm morbidly curious as to what motivates someone like this. I know there is never going to be a good answer, of course. Sadism? Desire for notoriety? Profound mental illness and delusions? Some of all of the above?

My own kid's in grade 2 right now, so I can somewhat-sort of imagine the horrors the parents are going through.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

sbr

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2012, 02:29:01 PM
I gotta admit, I'm morbidly curious as to what motivates someone like this. I know there is never going to be a good answer, of course. Sadism? Desire for notoriety? Profound mental illness and delusions? Some of all of the above?

My own kid's in grade 2 right now, so I can somewhat-sort of imagine the horrors the parents are going through.

One of the articles says the dead gunmen may have been the father of a student.  I hate to speculate at times like this but I would guess custody battle gone terribly wrong.

Queequeg

I wouldn't be totally surprised if there was something like a brain tumor involved, like Charles Whitman.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

merithyn

Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2012, 02:34:18 PM
I wouldn't be totally surprised if there was something like a brain tumor involved, like Charles Whitman.

I think you give the shooter an out he doesn't deserve.

Someone said that two other people were taken into custody. They had been out in the woods behind the school.

Malthus

Reports say his mother was a teacher at the school and he may have killed his dad first. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

QuoteMore than two dozen people, mostly children, were shot and killed at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school this morning by a heavily armed man who was killed inside the building, federal and state sources tell ABC News.

"The shooter is deceased inside the building," Connecticut State Police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance said at a news conference. "The public is not in danger."

The gunman has been identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, of New Jersey. A dead body has also been found in his home, officials said. Sources said Lanza was armed with four weapons and wearing a bullet-proof vest when he opened fire in the elementary school.

Among the dead was the gunman's mother, found in the school, sources told ABC News.

Authorities initially believed that there were two gunmen and were searching cars around the school. It is currently unclear whether there is still a suspect at large.

Kleves

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2012, 02:37:30 PM
Reports say his mother was a teacher at the school and he may have killed his dad first.
That's what I'm seeing.
QuoteThe gunman, identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, was also found dead at the scene, a federal law enforcement official said. Lanza's mother is a kindergarten teacher at the Newtown school.
Some killings (in like domestic disputes or something) you can almost understand what the guy was thinking. Something like this... it's just incomprehensible.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: Kleves on December 14, 2012, 02:50:43 PM
Some killings (in like domestic disputes or something) you can almost understand what the guy was thinking. Something like this... it's just incomprehensible.

Yeah. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Official Count:
20 kids dead - 18 on scene, 2 at the hospital
6 adults dead
1 dead in the shooter's house (in Newtown, not New Jersey as originally reported)
1 shooter

Total dead: 28

Shootings took place in one section of the school, in two rooms.