Do you have a favorite living public figure/celebrity?

Started by Martinus, December 06, 2012, 02:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Someone who inspires you or that you admire for what they represent, both in terms of their professional life and e.g. political activism or personal life? If so, who is it?

Richard Hakluyt

I'm undecided between Van Rompuy and Barroso, those men are truly titans of our time and will save Europe.

In answer to your question though........no I don't.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2012, 03:33:03 AM
Not since Ted Koppel retired.

And since Mike Wallace died, Jim Miklaszewski is the only man of integrity in media left.

Martinus

I have been having the same one for at least the last 10 years or so.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Hillary Clinton.

I don't know that I idolize her, but I do think of her as a modern heroine. I admire and respect her for how she's handled her career and her life choices. They may not have been the same choices that I would have made, but she owned them. You have to respect that.

From the land of the dead: Ann Landers and Eleanor Roosevelt
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2012, 10:27:31 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2012, 10:14:10 AM
BRIT HUME

:XD:  Oh, you were serious.

:D  I just watched an American Dad episode the other day where Stan's wife, trying to prove a point, asked him if he liked Brit Hume.  Stand replied, "You know damned well I like Brit Hume!"  Just had that stuck in my head.

Anyway, there are some public figures I admire, but I can't think of anyone, at least not anyone living, whom I idolize to the extent Marti seems to indicate in his "Oh please oh please ask me who mine is" fishing post.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Fuck you, derspiess. :P

Anyway, for me it's *shock horror* Sir Ian McKellen.

derspiess

Valmy

Yeah there are alot of celebrities I respect and admire but none that I specifically idolize or consider my "favorite" or anything.

I mean besides RG3  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2012, 10:37:02 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2012, 10:27:31 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2012, 10:14:10 AM
BRIT HUME

:XD:  Oh, you were serious.

:D  I just watched an American Dad episode the other day where Stan's wife, trying to prove a point, asked him if he liked Brit Hume.  Stand replied, "You know damned well I like Brit Hume!"  Just had that stuck in my head.

Anyway, there are some public figures I admire, but I can't think of anyone, at least not anyone living, whom I idolize to the extent Marti seems to indicate in his "Oh please oh please ask me who mine is" fishing post.

:face:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien