The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 05:21:10 PM
Why?

In the song, from the Napoleonic era, they are calling for Poles to fight Russian and German occupation.  At one point they refer to Polish resistance to the Swedes during the 'Great Deluge' of the 17th century.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

The USA anthem has no Poles, but it does have Jose who can see the Panzer's Light.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2012, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 30, 2012, 01:29:05 PM
Are Swedes mentioned in the Polish national anthem?

Yes. :unsure:

Why?

Our anthem is essentially about various people retaking Poland from foreign occupiers. One of these were Swedes during the Swedish Deluge in 1650s. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2012, 05:22:46 PM
Why?

In the song, from the Napoleonic era, they are calling for Poles to fight Russian and German occupation.  At one point they refer to Polish resistance to the Swedes during the 'Great Deluge' of the 17th century.

I award you one Kosciuszko Point for the outstanding knowledge of Polish trivia. :P