News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

River cruise vacations

Started by Caliga, November 27, 2012, 01:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So now that Turks and Caicos is behind us my parents are talking about the next family vacation and proposed a Danube cruise; the itinerary they picked out goes from Passau to Budapest with stops in Linz, Vienna, Bratislava, and some other places.

Anyone ever done one of these things?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

No, but Max and I have talked about doing one for some time. Let us know how it works out for you, please. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 27, 2012, 01:39:58 PM
So now that Turks and Caicos is behind us my parents are talking about the next family vacation and proposed a Danube cruise; the itinerary they picked out goes from Passau to Budapest with stops in Linz, Vienna, Bratislava, and some other places.

A colleague of mine was raving about his river cruise awhile ago.  I think he did the Rhine, and has now booked one in Russia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Danube is a popular one. Passau is a typical starting point and you could indeed go Linz, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Belgrade and off to the (supposedly) beautiful delta in Romania which is in parts a wild life reserve.

Also, we can have schnitzel together. :P

Personally, I want to do the Nile one at some point. Friends were pretty impressed with a Volga trip.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I actually told my mom that I would need some time in Vienna and Budapest to hang out with my niggas. :cool:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2012, 01:41:11 PM
A colleague of mine was raving about his river cruise awhile ago.  I think he did the Rhine, and has now booked one in Russia.
If we don't end up doing one on the Danube, the Rhine would be the next choice.  I am also interested in the lower Danube itineraries, though I'm not sure if my tracksuit wardrobe is quite large enough for that one. :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

I want to do the one Viking has from Amsterdam to Belgrade.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 27, 2012, 02:18:30 PM
I want to do the one Viking has from Amsterdam to Belgrade.
I won't have that much time to spare, unfortunately.  I was looking at the ones for 10 days or less.

crazy canuck

I havent heard anything but good things about those cruises.

I didnt go for a full cruise but I went down the Rhine for half a day and it was a lot of fun.

The only thing I worry about is getting stuck on a boat with a bunch loud Americans. But you should be able to drown them out with your own noise should you encounter them.

viper37

The St-Lawrence is a nice river to cruise.  Especially in January, it's beautiful, and if you're lucky, you'll have 2-3 days to examine the ice while you're stuck in it :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 27, 2012, 03:08:34 PM

The St-Lawrence is a nice river to cruise.  Especially in January, it's beautiful, and if you're lucky, you'll have 2-3 days to examine the ice while you're stuck in it :)

On that note I can highly recommend canoe cruises down the Yukon river. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2012, 03:13:39 PM

Do you also call an outhouse a spa?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 27, 2012, 03:18:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2012, 03:13:39 PM

Do you also call an outhouse a spa?

There are precious few outhouses along the side of the Yukon River, CC.

Crazy_Ivan80

did one on the Nile. Only things missing were Poirot and a murder (preferrably not mine).
Was fun