Should government policies be decided by referendum?

Started by viper37, November 20, 2012, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

A debate I started with the French guys :)

So, in France, gay marriage is apparently an issue as big as in some Southern US States.  There was a protest (and a riot, it is France, after all :P) this week-end, and among the arguments against, it was said that "such important issues should be decided by the people, by a referendum, not by the politicians".

I think it's a nice principle.  I do like the way the Americans do it, voting on a proposition at the same time as an election.
However, it can lead to some silly issues.  Most voters don't want to cut services that directly affect them, most voters won't support a tax increase for them.

Given the examples of Canada, I also think some social issues would not have been settled when they were, had we used a referendum.  Stuff like gay marriage or death penalty might still be hot issues for half the population instead of being settled.  In the US, slavery and the civil rights issues might not have been settled with a referendum.

So what is, in your opinion, the preferred approach to settle contentious, divisive issues?  A popular referendum or letting your legislative assembly doing the work they should be doing, making the tough decisions for you?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Texas has a strong populist frontier tradition that involves voting on every bond, tax increase, and change to the state constitution as well as electing an absurd percentage of the public officials.  Last election I voted on the local Community College's board of trustees.

The results can be pretty nutty, particularly when you have 40 or so elections the electorate was not even aware they were voting on.  The most disastrous result of this sort of thing can be seen in California with their populist voter initiative, more money and fewer taxes for everything!

I think only major changes that impact everybody like changes to the Constitution should be up for a referendum, that may include gay marriage in France or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

I don't think anything that relates to a minority class should be decided by referendum. By default, the majority would always have the advantage, meaning that minorities could potentially always get the shit end of the deal. See: US black population prior to 1960.

It is, actually, one of my biggest gripes regarding how the US Congress acts. They should respect and champion their minority groups despite the majority when it comes to rights, education, and basic care. I understand the problems - they could be kicked out of office - and that's where I see a major concern in our system.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 10:14:42 AM
I don't think anything that relates to a minority class should be decided by referendum. By default, the majority would always have the advantage, meaning that minorities could potentially always get the shit end of the deal. See: US black population prior to 1960.

It is, actually, one of my biggest gripes regarding how the US Congress acts. They should respect and champion their minority groups despite the majority when it comes to rights, education, and basic care. I understand the problems - they could be kicked out of office - and that's where I see a major concern in our system.

Almost everything potentially relates to a minority class of some sort.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

I'm thinking specifically of minority rights, like gay marriage or allowing minorities to vote.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 10:14:42 AM

Well you could use that precedent to justify eliminating Democracy all together :P

But a key part in that example was the denial of the right to vote to Blacks.  Once they had it it was amazing how soon the oppressive laws began to recede.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 10:27:09 AM
I'm thinking specifically of minority rights, like gay marriage or allowing minorities to vote.

Ah ok.  You said 'anything that relates to a minority class' not 'basic human rights of minorities' so it threw us off a bit.

Malthus

Fair enough. Ideally, that should be dealt with by a nation's constitution.

After all, as one fellow once put it, without constitutional protection of minority rights, democracy is two sheep and three wolves voting on what's for dinner tonight.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2012, 09:39:35 AM
So, in France, gay marriage is apparently an issue as big as in some Southern US States.  There was a protest (and a riot, it is France, after all :P) this week-end, and among the arguments against, it was said that "such important issues should be decided by the people, by a referendum, not by the politicians".

I think it's a nice principle.  I do like the way the Americans do it, voting on a proposition at the same time as an election.
However, it can lead to some silly issues.  Most voters don't want to cut services that directly affect them, most voters won't support a tax increase for them.

It's the wrong approach, though.  Civil Rights and liberties designed to protect a minority can never be subjected to the will of the majority.
If we had that approach, black people still wouldn't be allowed to vote in the South.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2012, 10:28:54 AM

Ah ok.  You said 'anything that relates to a minority class' not 'basic human rights of minorities' so it threw us off a bit.

There's a question of what's considered "basic human rights", so I wanted to avoid using that phrase in order to avoid having some of our more conservative members tune out at the use.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2012, 10:31:33 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2012, 09:39:35 AM

It's the wrong approach, though.  Civil Rights and liberties designed to protect a minority can never be subjected to the will of the majority.
If we had that approach, black people still wouldn't be allowed to vote in the South.

Then why did gays just get the right to marry in Maine and Maryland a couple of weeks ago?

Ultimately I think these kind of societal changes are best done with the explicit approval of society, and not when imposed from upon high.  Slavery was abolished by the Emancipation Proclamation, but the south resented it for generations and continued to treat blacks very, very badly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 10:40:04 AM
Then why did gays just get the right to marry in Maine and Maryland a couple of weeks ago?

Ultimately I think these kind of societal changes are best done with the explicit approval of society, and not when imposed from upon high.  Slavery was abolished by the Emancipation Proclamation, but the south resented it for generations and continued to treat blacks very, very badly.

The laws came first, which forced the change. Had it been left on its own, I can't imagine that it would ever have happened.

Malthus

If the silly Yanks had remained loyal to the Crown, slavery would have been abolished earlier and without a massive civil war, as it was in the rest of the Empire :canuck:  ;)

CountDeMoney

I said the wrong approach, not an illegal approach, asshole.

Referendums on civil rights are cop-out by politicians so they don't need to take the heat on unpopular initiatives, anyway.

QuoteUltimately I think these kind of societal changes are best done with the explicit approval of society, and not when imposed from upon high.
That's because you're a monarchist fuck.

QuoteSlavery was abolished by the Emancipation Proclamation, but the south resented it for generations and continued to treat blacks very, very badly.

Slavery was abolished by the 13th Amendment.   But because the South resented it, it shouldn't have been passed?  Go fucking die.