News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

It would be a good point, if it wasn't false.

I've bought plenty of games through Steam that do not require Steam to be running to play.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alcibiades

Woops bad read,  I'm stuck between the Joined Trill and the borg bridge officer.  :Embarrass:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 11, 2010, 02:54:48 PM

I've bought plenty of games through Steam that do not require Steam to be running to play.

When I bought Fallen Earth through Steam, Steam did have to play and I had no end of trouble with that.  Eventually someone here told me a work around.  I never did get it running properly.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 03:12:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 11, 2010, 02:54:48 PM

When I bought Fallen Earth through Steam, Steam did have to play and I had no end of trouble with that.  Eventually someone here told me a work around.  I never did get it running properly.

It may be the case that some games from Steam require you to have Steam running. It is *certainly* the case that not all game bought from Steam require you to have Steam running.

I do not know for certain that STO will fall into the latter category, but considering how MMO work as far as updating and connecting to servers, I would be *very* surprised if that was not the case.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I just wished they would tell how we're suppose to get Open beta keys without having pre-ordered.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2010, 03:54:45 PM
I just wished they would tell how we're suppose to get Open beta keys without having pre-ordered.

If you figure it out, report it ASAP

Barrister

I don't think you're supposed to get open beta keys without pre-ordering.  :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 04:17:03 PM

I don't think you're supposed to get open beta keys without pre-ordering.  :mellow:

Then they are lieying, this is not an Open beta. I don't see how they are going to properly test their systems without handing out free keys. There probably isn't enough pre-orders.

I don't mind pre-ordering, I just don't want to do it before Saturday.

Barrister

Well maybe they'll see how it goes after Tuesday.

Honestly I've only ever gotten this geeked over a MMO (where I followed the forums, pre-ordered, etc.) once before for LOTRO.  I don't know if most games open beta is truly open, or just a pre-order bonus / stress test.

I am slightly disappointed at this point however about the open beta process.  The official forums are of course awash in nerd rage, but they have a point: it starts tomorrow (supposedly), but there's nary an official word on what time, how to download the client, etc.

When I purchased by digital download it game me a link (www.startrekonline.com/download) that didn't go anywhere - it just redirected to the STO homepage!

Eh - we'll see how it goes.  It is only beta, and it's oly the release I should really worry about.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2010, 04:49:03 PM
Then they are lieying, this is not an Open beta. I don't see how they are going to properly test their systems without handing out free keys. There probably isn't enough pre-orders.

Isnt there a way to stress test their system by adjusting for the amount of players they do have?  In other words, if the only way they can properly test before launch is to have all the players on that will be playing at launch then isnt it impossible to test before launch?

Grey Fox

That's pretty much it. That's mainly why all MMOs have poor launches. You have to stress test with tens of thousands of players.

crazy canuck

Katmai, I think I found your answer in the pre-order Q&A thread pinned in the developers forum.

QuoteCan you tell us if the pre-order codes are the same as the retail cd key codes, is it just the one code?

They're different codes. The pre-order ones get you into open beta and the head start. The retail keys provide the extra stuff.

if, it's 2 codes can someone buy multiple copies of the game, stack the different pre-orders, on their account, then pass the other cd keys on to their friends/family to use without the pre-order items?

No, unfortunately the items are connected to the retail key. So you couldn't pass it on to someone else.

Barrister

BY the way, a different FAQ acknowledged it was possible that pre-order goodies may well be available by way of the "Cryptic store" later on.

crazy canuck

Looks like their forum server just crashed.  Does not bode well.