News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

katmai

After being promoted you are sent out on first mission.
The worlds are cut up into Systems and Sectors, all instanced so while seeing a bunch of other ships in Sector space don't really interact with them unless you are in Systems.

I liked it for fact when ended up in a Fleet Action with 19 other ships vs a Klingon raid the system never lagged, how it works on in PvP space I can't say yet, should know this weekend.
The space combat was fun, if basic, I mean it's mainly make sure shields are rotated and keep enemies in decent arc for you weapon systems, pick Bridge Officers with good skills (buffs) for your play style.

Ground combat is okay, still seems to need more work with animations as it looked odd when a Klingon races past me to attack my away team and after i fire on them they do the moonwalk instead of turning around to come back and attack me :P

In away missions you lead a team of 5, so it could be you and your bridge crew or you can take down generic redshirt security :P

katmai

katmai

Oh and to give idea, i spent 7 hours and made it halfway to what would be lvl 5.

katmai

If ya have any particular questions on gameplay feel free to ask Beeb :P

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 07, 2010, 12:51:35 AM

Was it fun?

Does the ship combat look like it will get more involved with more skills?

How were the quests/missions?

You regretting spending $125 on it yet? :P

My download is up to 72%...

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 01:06:40 AM
Quote from: katmai on January 07, 2010, 12:51:35 AM

Was it fun?
Yes it was, i look forward to getting a chance to really play around with it tomorrow

Does the ship combat look like it will get more involved with more skills?

It might, the Fleet Actions were amazing, i made mistake of getting too far ahead of the fleet and was quickly vaporized by those pesky Klingons!

How were the quests/missions?

Lets see so far I saved a freighter from Orion Pirates, defeated Klingon attack on Starbase, found a Changeling spy in Federation Command, patrolled 4 systems in the war against the Klingon/Gorn/Orion tripartite. :P

You regretting spending $125 on it yet? :P

Nope, for the quirks I did see i can easily remember that this is a beta status and reading their forums they are still a lot of things they want to add over next month before game goes live.

Besides I can't wait to see what my real character will look like in the TOS/DS9 uni's :P

I like the skill system as it is as there isn't really any classes per most other MMO's i've played.

Barrister

Your comments that ground combat still looked rough was something I remember from some of the previews.  And is something that is fixable.

It sounds good.

But very few games suck immediately upon logging in.

Jaron

I'm potentially interested in playing with you kat, but I NEED ( NEEEED ) to know how the game stacks up after you get a little deeper in. Let me know!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: katmai on January 07, 2010, 12:07:16 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 11:59:15 PM
That's one ugly-ass ship you made.

Non of the starter ships are lookers <_<
Unless you get the Constellation Class bonus. :wub:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on January 07, 2010, 12:06:34 AM
After being promoted you are sent out on first mission.
The worlds are cut up into Systems and Sectors, all instanced so while seeing a bunch of other ships in Sector space don't really interact with them unless you are in Systems.

I liked it for fact when ended up in a Fleet Action with 19 other ships vs a Klingon raid the system never lagged, how it works on in PvP space I can't say yet, should know this weekend.
The space combat was fun, if basic, I mean it's mainly make sure shields are rotated and keep enemies in decent arc for you weapon systems, pick Bridge Officers with good skills (buffs) for your play style.

Ground combat is okay, still seems to need more work with animations as it looked odd when a Klingon races past me to attack my away team and after i fire on them they do the moonwalk instead of turning around to come back and attack me :P

In away missions you lead a team of 5, so it could be you and your bridge crew or you can take down generic redshirt security :P

The Klingons have made it to the doorstep of Wolf 359! They're not the Borg who just send in one ship and plow through all opposition until they reach Earth, they must have overrun dozens of systems to be able to raid that deep into the Federation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

When I left home for work my download was up to 77%.

How does the game handle death in away missions? Especially for your bridge crew?

Key bindings, fully customable?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Well when I woke up my install was at 99.52% complete.  BY the time I was out of the shower it was complete, and by the time my toast was ready the install was finished.

Of course my account doesn't work yet.  <_<

GF, I think I can answer the death question.  Like most MMOs these days it has a pretty lite death penalty.  If one of your party members dies they can be resussitated.  If your entire party dies you just spawn again at an early save point.

Same with your ship.  If you die in combat you spawn again a short distance later.

Not very realistic, but more fun I suppose.  I think there is some loss in money or whatever STO uses.