News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans, how do you watch TV?

Started by Syt, November 13, 2012, 03:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

A German blogger says - and it seems to be reflected by comments on the board here - that in the U.S. the trend goes in the direction that only news and sports are watched live and in realtime and that (almost) everything else gets either recorded or streamed.

It says it's not there yet, but moving towards it.

Would you agree?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Yeah. Watching shows as they air is something older people and very small children do.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2012, 03:40:36 AM
A German blogger says - and it seems to be reflected by comments on the board here - that in the U.S. the trend goes in the direction that only news and sports are watched live and in realtime and that (almost) everything else gets either recorded or streamed.

Would you agree?
Yup. Only a huge fan of a particular program would actually watch something premier. The only show I can think of doing that for if I were home would be Game of Thrones.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

We do the same in the UK - I'd never watch a series if I didn't put it on series record as I'd miss an episode and lose interest.

In addition to sport, all those popular talent contests - X Factor, Britain's Got Talent and Strictly Come Dancing - are watched live, often with the mobile in one hand to tweet about the performances and results. Maybe soap operas too for those that like that kind of thing - as they seem to be on every day you'd never catch up otherwise.

With on-demand TV - through the TV itself or online - you can basically watch a box-set of a series whenever you want, too.

Gups

I though this was how TV was watched everywhere in the civilised world these days.

Probably even more so in the US where there are way more ad breaks than in most places.

Syt

Well, I don't know, I cancelled my cable TV subscription. Unfortunately, there's not too much useful by way of legal streaming services, so I end up watching series on not so legal streaming sites (Austria has a lenient handling of this and downloading - unless you're doing it as a business, they don't care, and the ISPs refuse to give out IDs of their users to rights holders and have been backed in court.

I would sign up for something like Netflix or Amazon Prime at the drop of a hat, but the streaming stuff you get here is either tied to a cable sub, or you have crap selection and VERY often only German dubs (newer stuff seems to offer both). iTunes has only just started to offer movies/tv shows for Austria.

While Europe has had a common market for goods for 20 years, we still don't have it for services and electronic goods. So while I can buy a CD at Amazon.co.uk and have it sent to me I can't download the same CD from Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

That's pretty much how I watch it. I have a cable subs for live sports & to apease the child.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

I sit in a comfy chair with the remote control on the right side.

There is a small table to the left that holds drinks and snacks. On football days, a food tray is brought over and I am fed a continuous stream of delicious foods.

It's good to be the King.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Dammit seedy, i was doing that joke.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I probably have less crumbs in my sofa, too.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2012, 03:59:01 AM

Would you agree?
Yup. Only a huge fan of a particular program would actually watch something premier. The only show I can think of doing that for if I were home would be Game of Thrones.

That's fucking backwards, though.  I'm not going to bother recording something unless it's a program I really want to see and I can't be watching when it airs.  Anything else is just background noise--I'll watch it as it airs if I have nothing else to do, otherwise the heck with it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on November 13, 2012, 08:33:25 AM
That's fucking backwards, though.  I'm not going to bother recording something unless it's a program I really want to see and I can't be watching when it airs.  Anything else is just background noise--I'll watch it as it airs if I have nothing else to do, otherwise the heck with it.

Xfinity saves a lot of programs for you, so you frequently have the past month's worth of episodes available for most of the shows that are currently on. I don't know about you, but I'm not always in the mood to watch tv even when a show I really like is scheduled to come on.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: dps on November 13, 2012, 08:33:25 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2012, 03:59:01 AM

Would you agree?

recordings have no commercials :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

I'd rather watch shows when they air, but because of my work schedule i have most things i want to see set to record just in case.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son