News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elite: Dangerous

Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 04:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I owe you a beer Pedrito, following that discussion I have got a direct DL link to the launcher  :D

During lunch I tried it at home, downloaded the game quickly accepted my login. Then hit play, game started up. Yay!

Then I got a login failure message I couldn't circumvent. Appparently other people have this as well since the last gamma patch of yesterday.

I am loving this always online thing already.  :lol:

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on November 25, 2014, 08:42:11 AM
I owe you a beer Pedrito, following that discussion I have got a direct DL link to the launcher  :D

During lunch I tried it at home, downloaded the game quickly accepted my login. Then hit play, game started up. Yay!

Then I got a login failure message I couldn't circumvent. Appparently other people have this as well since the last gamma patch of yesterday.

:cheers:

I had no problems at all to login and play gamma a bit yesterday evening
I don't mind the always online policy, my laptop is way too underpowered to play E:D so I'd play it 99,9% of the time at home; what I don't like at all is is the persistent galaxy so that external events influence my game  <_<

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Arvoreen

I didn't back it...but I did pre-order.  I'm torn on the whole online-only thing, but am willing to give it a go before complaining too much.

Tamas

After many tweaks and tries and router wizardry I still cannot log in. Supposedly. Because I actually can login when asked for credentials. It is later that it tells me I cannot. Odd.
Oh well, plenty of other games until they sort it out. I was curious though.

Tamas

Started working, they probably fixed something.

I totally suck with a gamepad, only saving grace are weapons which auto-lock in a limited arc.

Josquius

Quote from: Pedrito on November 25, 2014, 09:03:58 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 25, 2014, 08:42:11 AM

:cheers:

I had no problems at all to login and play gamma a bit yesterday evening
I don't mind the always online policy, my laptop is way too underpowered to play E:D so I'd play it 99,9% of the time at home; what I don't like at all is is the persistent galaxy so that external events influence my game  <_<

L.

Agreed.
Always online....annoying and shitty anti-piracy measure but I can live with it so long as it doesn't crash the game if your connection drops (I'm looking at you Assassins Creed 2).
But having people who do nothing but play the game 24/7 do everything in the game before I've even installed it...there's just no way I can keep up with my gaming habits. And I want some unexplored bits of the galaxy.
██████
██████
██████

Arvoreen

With 400 BILLION star systems, I don't care how many people play 24/7...I'm pretty sure I can find an empty/unexplored corner.  As long as it doesn't crash if my internet is down, I'll play many an hour (and since my internet doesn't crash often, I probably will never know....)

Syt

How many of the 400 billion system will have stations at the start?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2014, 01:44:26 AM

if they have stations they're not "unexplored" :p

Syt

I know. Again, how many populated systems will there be?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

If I pay more than 10 bucks for the game I want 400 billion handcrafted systems, with rich cultures and histories.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 29, 2014, 04:22:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2014, 01:44:26 AM

if they have stations they're not "unexplored" :p

Actually, I have started what is probably the edge of the "civilised" space. My home system is Federation but all other has been independent system usually not having more than one of the classic Elite stations and a bunch of outposts, and several just have outposts. And I have earned nice credits (compared to my financial situation at least) discovering planets/suns in some of these sparsely inhabited systems and selling the info to neighbours. So you can actually explore systems with bases in them. Maybe this is a Gamma thing only.

What I noticed is that all those planets look so nice in the background of the stations you visit, that you inclined to handle them for that - background graphics. Until they get between you exiting the outpost and your hyperspace destination, requiring you to go to supercruise to get around it. :P

Or when you stop at an outpost orbiting one of two twin planets locked close into each other, and the outpost's planet is eclipsing their star from the side you are coming from, and you see this awesome thin layer of sunlight over the planet, and you almost bump into a tower of the outpost while landing, because its pitch black apart from dim lights from the outpost, and you forgot that you have headlights. :wub:

That said, one evening I was "ok now I have an hour to play Elite, lets do it" just to wait half an hour before the servers would come back online... So its not perfect, but it does seem to be good old Elite with current generation graphics.

I guess my biggest concern right now is the line of QQ threads on the official forum about there being "nothing to do" and such. Those people appear to be accustomed to handholding progression system from (other) MMOs and I worry they will pressure the devs into turning this into WoW in space.

Josquius

Quote from: Arvoreen on November 29, 2014, 01:40:23 AM
With 400 BILLION star systems, I don't care how many people play 24/7...I'm pretty sure I can find an empty/unexplored corner.  As long as it doesn't crash if my internet is down, I'll play many an hour (and since my internet doesn't crash often, I probably will never know....)
I don't want to fuck around in the arse end of space though (boring business that), I want to be not too far from the core systems so I can still play with  the Empire & Feds.
██████
██████
██████

Pedrito

The game can be a real eye candy :wub:
and I love the accuracy of the astrophysical model, i.e. if you approach a space station from the front during supercruise, it happens often that you overshoot the station and have to u-turn, because the combined speeds of station and ship are too fast to decelerate in time.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tamas

No wipe at launch.

But I kinda screwed up my Hauler so I am going to restart tonight anyway.