News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Economist and Mayor Bloomberg endorse Obama

Started by Queequeg, November 01, 2012, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I think the Economist is the definition of the liberal establishment, in both the UK sense and the US sense.  I can't think of a more bien pensant paper.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

The Atlantic, The New Yorker and The New Republic are far more clearly related to the Democratic establishment, and TNR's relative centrism (Clintonite, Liberaltarian arguably) would probably make it the closest.  I think The Nation is too far to the right to be the equivalent, and The Economist is generally pretty esoteric in it's politics.  In terms of temprement and affiliation it's probably about equally split between Matthew Yglesias and Reihan Salaam, meaning that it's primarily concerned with efficient, technocratic government and well-regulated, lightly managed economy more than tribal affiliation or class interest.  The Democratic Party and the "Liberal Establishment" is a creature of tribal affiliation and class interest before policy, so I don't think The Economist falls in that at all.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Actually, that's kind of an interesting question.  I don't know if TNR's wonkish Clintonite bent or The New Yorker's pretentious, vaguely patrician, highly tribal Liberalism better represent "The Liberal Establishment."  Probably best to say that they both represent it, and that they aren't mutually exclusive. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2012, 08:18:06 PM
The Democratic Party and the "Liberal Establishment" is a creature of tribal affiliation and class interest before policy, so I don't think The Economist falls in that at all.

The Economist's first love is the free market and free trade.

Sheilbh

But isn't there a Liberal Establishment and a liberal establishment?  On the one hand a group with links to the Democrats and policy wonkishness like TNR or the New Yorker or whatever else, on the other a group which is simply the upper middle-class bien pensants who drink DOC wine, go to their farmers market, listen to PBS and, to relax, Coltrane, they probably watch BBC America.  The Economist clearly isn't part of the Democrat establishment but I think they're a pretty liberal establishment paper.

The fact that they're foreign, maybe a little elitist in tone and written with Oxbridge brio and omniscience helps. 
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2012, 09:06:17 PM
The fact that they're foreign, maybe a little elitist in tone and written with Oxbridge brio and omniscience helps.

Exactly. Feeds directly into the American anti-intellectualism that labels anything like that as commie pinko lefty pap.

And for the record, I don't even drink wine, thank you.  :mad:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 09:12:56 PM
And for the record, I don't even drink wine, thank you.  :mad:

Me neither. But if I did, they'd have ice.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 01, 2012, 09:06:17 PM
But isn't there a Liberal Establishment and a liberal establishment?  On the one hand a group with links to the Democrats and policy wonkishness like TNR or the New Yorker or whatever else, on the other a group which is simply the upper middle-class bien pensants who drink DOC wine, go to their farmers market, listen to PBS and, to relax, Coltrane, they probably watch BBC America.  The Economist clearly isn't part of the Democrat establishment but I think they're a pretty liberal establishment paper.

He we are running in to conflicting usages of the term Liberal.  To my mind, the American usage of the term implies a degree of hostility-or at least skepticism- of lightly regulated capitalism that is almost entirely at odds with The Economist's positions dating back to the Corn Laws.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on November 01, 2012, 09:32:49 PM
He we are running in to conflicting usages of the term Liberal.  To my mind, the American usage of the term implies a degree of hostility-or at least skepticism- of lightly regulated capitalism that is almost entirely at odds with The Economist's positions dating back to the Corn Laws.
But I think the NRO is using 'liberal establishment' to mean sneering, elitist, DC & NY cocktail party-goers - not the the Liberal Establishment.  I think it's liberal establishment as a cultural judgement not as a political elite.

Edit:  Incidentally I can't stand Yglesias.  Him, Klein and Sorkin make the American left almost unelectable :bleeding: <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

So you're not using the American definition of Liberal, but rather the definition of Liberal Establishment by the feverishly insane and paranoid modern NRO? You might be right, but they're just a bunch of incompetent children of sightly more gifted demagogues who hate that they'll never be smart enough for The New Yorker.

Eddie Teach

I think Economist readers are more likely to aspire to be intellectuals than sophisticates.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

The Republican Intramural Bloodletting that will happen if Obama wins again and the dems take back the senate will be entertaining. I suspect the blame will fall on those who Teapartiers were attacking all cycle. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg