News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Presidential Election!

Started by Kleves, October 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who gets your vote for President of the United States of America?

I'm an American and I vote for Obama - just the man to turn American around after four miserable years
24 (29.6%)
I'm an American and I vote for Romney - his day one job: get ride of Obamacare and then strip America down and sell it for parts
14 (17.3%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Obama - a weak and apologetic America pleases me
30 (37%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Romney - a Mormon in the White House? That will be hilarious!
3 (3.7%)
I am American, and I waste my vote by voting for a third party
6 (7.4%)
I am not an American, but I would vote for Jaron
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 80

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on October 31, 2012, 09:53:56 AM
That's actually pretty cool. Are there many attractive young women who attend these Republican events?

Seems to be the case in GOP strongholds like my area-- there are a lot of young attractive professional wimmenz that are active in the Cincy GOP.  Seems like it's more of a social function for them but I'm okay with it.

In other areas maybe not as much. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 31, 2012, 09:29:37 AM
So Nate Silver is getting some shit for his seventy-something percent chance of Obama victory, and not just from the right.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/10/nate-silver-romney-clearly-could-still-win-147618.html

Can't find the video link, but even Seedy's own Morning Joe had an anti-Nate rant.
Ignorance of statistics isn't solely the domain of the right.  I don't know if Nate Silver's model is severely flawed or not, but I know that the arguments cited in that article against it are severely flawed.  Probability and statistics are very, very hard to truly get, and this article shows it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 31, 2012, 11:10:53 AM
Ignorance of statistics isn't solely the domain of the right.  I don't know if Nate Silver's model is severely flawed or not, but I know that the arguments cited in that article against it are severely flawed.  Probability and statistics are very, very hard to truly get, and this article shows it.

What people keep missing when they bitch about Silver's "76.4 percent" is that the remaining "23.6 percent" is a really, really big fucking chunk of chance.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2012, 11:21:17 AM
What people keep missing when they bitch about Silver's "76.4 percent" is that the remaining "23.6 percent" is a really, really big fucking chunk of chance.

Not really.  It's less than 1 in 4. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on October 31, 2012, 11:57:36 AM

1 out of 4 comes up 9 times out of 10.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

You are obviously more of a high risk gambler than I am, then.  How's that work out at the tables for you?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2012, 12:07:51 PM

You are obviously more of a high risk gambler than I am, then.  How's that work out at the tables for you?

I'm missing your point, but I only play Blackjack.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 31, 2012, 12:30:41 PM
I'm missing your point, but I only play Blackjack.

My point is, 1 out of 4 is still very decent odds.

Hell, even rolling a 6 on a 1d6 can get you an EX on the 1-4 Attrition Table without a CAS modifier.

Sheilbh

I don't get the Silver hate. The Princeton model has Obama with an 80% chance. The RCP and HuffPost averages have Obama over 270. He's got a stronger lead in Ohio than Bush at this point in 2004 and Romney has never led the state. Romney's surge has stalled, at best. I think he's undone the damage of 47% and a great Dem convention, which is impressive. But, he needs another 1-2% to win.

Right now I think this feels like role reversal 2004.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 31, 2012, 01:37:32 PM
Right now I think this feels like role reversal 2004.

Yeah it totally does.  Incompetent incumbent going up against soulless challenger.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 31, 2012, 01:37:32 PM
I don't get the Silver hate. The Princeton model has Obama with an 80% chance. The RCP and HuffPost averages have Obama over 270. He's got a stronger lead in Ohio than Bush at this point in 2004 and Romney has never led the state.

The problem I have with anyone giving Obama greater than a 60% chance is that where he is ahead he's ahead by razor thin margins.  And one thing I can't work out in my head is why so many of the polls seem to assume that Obama will get turnout equal or greater to 2008 when his supporters clearly lack the same level of enthusiasm for him.

Anyway, my prediction from months ago stands:  Romney wins the popular vote but Obama wins electoral, with it all hinging on one state.

QuoteRomney's surge has stalled, at best. I think he's undone the damage of 47% and a great Dem convention, which is impressive. But, he needs another 1-2% to win.

I think he's ahead of where he was before the Dem convention/47%. 

QuoteRight now I think this feels like role reversal 2004.

Well hopefully there won't be as bad of an exit poll screw-up as there was then.

Ed Anger

Iowa warns international observers of arrest

I'm getting a international incident boner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Awesome.  If I were here next Tuesdays is be doing citizens arrests, Gomer-style.

Ed Anger

I'll form an ad hoc militia company and detain anybody with an accent.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 31, 2012, 03:29:27 PM
I'll form an ad hoc militia company and detain anybody with an accent.

Put yourself in handcuffs asap