News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How the GOP Destroyed Its Moderates

Started by Queequeg, October 09, 2012, 03:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2012, 09:43:01 AM
Heck he is already doing it and nobody is demanding he be brutally purged.

Well, you know-- we'll see how the election goes ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2012, 09:43:01 AM
This is a little silly.  The party that does not hold the Presidency always gets to talk big.  They will be back to being in the soft squeezy middle if Romney wins.  Heck he is already doing it and nobody is demanding he be brutally purged.

There is no question that Romney is not truly "Conservative" in the Tea Party manner of cro-magnon dumbfuck Tea Party Conservative. So to some degree, that is encouraging.

On the other hand, it is still a party where even the "moderates" have to pretend to not be, and people still routinely sign pledges that amount to them giving up their ability to govern on important issues.

The problem is that it is the moderates in both parties who actually get things done - not the radicals. The radicals just alienate everyone, and unless you have a dominating majority, governance becomes impossible. This is a real problem when in fact the circumstances are such that actual governance is very much needed...like dealing with an out of control deficit that is going to *require* give and take from both sides, and more importantly, the desire from both sides to fix the problem more than the desire to "win" a political game of chicken.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

We have not seen how the Tea Party faction will deal with a GOP president.  I suppose they could become even more emboldened and push further to the right, but my gut tells me they're more likely to let their guard down a little and work with him, with a couple die-hards holding out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on October 10, 2012, 09:10:12 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2012, 11:19:11 PM
I thought it was pretty good, I'm definitely one of those moderate Republicans who are jumping ship at this point. Obama definitely represents my policy choices than the current GOP. I just don't trust them. Of course it doesn't really matter since I'm from Rhode Island.

I voted for Bush twice, and for McCain by the way.

GOP's Timmytaint:  removed

Maybe there is hope for us after all.  Timmy is Obama's problem now :D
Splitting my ticket, so the GOP is still getting my vote.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point