News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languishing like a Virgin Queen

Started by Viking, September 22, 2012, 08:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on October 26, 2012, 03:16:53 PM
Let me describe the scenario. I had the option to play Reiters on Flushing as a response to Sea Beggars, which would then have landed on another port. In that scenario, even though you had a fleet in the North Sea and a potential army in Antwerp, you could not have attacked me there directly, but would have had to march them overland to Dunkirk and sealift them from there.

Yeah, but the easier solution would be to convert flushing and revolting with 2 cp. Your mercs are scared shitless when faced with a calvinist convinced he is doing the work of god.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

The issue isn't whether it was a good idea, but that those spaces are immune to land-based attacks.

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on October 26, 2012, 03:24:15 PM
The issue isn't whether it was a good idea, but that those spaces are immune to land-based attacks.

Yes, agreed, you are right.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Suggesting

Dunkirk, Lille, Mons, Brussels, Antwerp, Brielle and Maastricht. Spending the Majors on Brussels, Lille and the Unrest.

Edit: Converting dunkirk is a big deal for both of us since we need it to stop spanish pirates against us; not to mention the english school event which generates jesuits.

Viking

QuoteEngland: Message
I sent a file but I don't have the faintest idea how the Protestant spaces tracker works. Also do spaces in unrest count?

If someone could fix that in the CB and ACTS and give me a quick lesson on wtf all those different charts and numbers are about please.

I didn't get a file.

Spaces in unrest do not count. And are you sure you'd rather not pick dunkirk instead of zutphen and spend that last major nullifying the unrest?

sbr

I created the file but haven't sent it yet because I saw your post.

I missed that I could cancel the unrest by changing a 6 to a 5.  I will redo that part.

How does flipping Dunkirk help prevent piracy?

As long as we're in a delay you wanna explain the Protestant Spaces Chart?

Viking

QuoteCard 110

Dunkirkers

If Spain controls a port in the netherlands that is not in unrest, Spain receives a free Piracy roll against English or Protestant ports in the north sea zone. Skip to step 5 of th epiracy procedure and have spain roll 4 piracy dice against the chosen target.

Groningen isn't a port and will be ignored if possible. In general I prefer adjecent conversions so I can conquer with the fewest possible revolt. Playing the home card takes mons, that leaves lille in unrest, so I can't revolt there. Cancel the unrest and move the zutphen conversion to dunkirk and a 2 cp revolt in dunkirk conquers lille as well as dunkirk as well as placing a garrison in a fortress port in addition to a land rout between the dutch and the hugenots.

The protestant spaces chart works like this. We count protestant spaces outside of the HRE and put them on the chart. Then you check the line in the chard with the line in the special vp chart for religion. The line with 20-24 protestant spaces aligns with 5 vp for spain, 1 vp for england, 2 vp for me and 0, 2, 3 vp for HRE depending on secret preference.

Plus, I want the fucking armada back in spain during the winter phase.

Solmyr

Did Sbr send a file? I didn't get one.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on October 26, 2012, 07:22:21 PM

Me neither, I got the impression he was going to alter his conversions a bit (presumably based on my advice and suggestion) and send another file.

sbr

Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2012, 05:54:28 PM
Groningen isn't a port and will be ignored if possible.

Oh.  Dunkirk looks inland on the map and I didn't notice the port icon.

Yeah, I know. :Embarrass:

QuoteThe protestant spaces chart works like this. We count protestant spaces outside of the HRE and put them on the chart. Then you check the line in the chard with the line in the special vp chart for religion. The line with 20-24 protestant spaces aligns with 5 vp for spain, 1 vp for england, 2 vp for me and 0, 2, 3 vp for HRE depending on secret preference.

So the VPs only move when the marker moves between lines.  Interesting.

I will send the original file and an updated one.  Hopefully there are no objections to the changes.  I had more major conversions than I needed, using one to get rid of the unrest is a no-brainer had I realized it.  I would have gone with Dunkirk as well had I noticed the port icons.

sbr

Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2012, 07:23:44 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 26, 2012, 07:22:21 PM

Me neither, I got the impression he was going to alter his conversions a bit (presumably based on my advice and suggestion) and send another file.

Sending both as soon as I log into my email.

Viking

BTW, Dunkirk, Lille and Mons are still Spanish controlled, they just are protestant religion now. I'll fix it in my turn if nobody else does it first.

sbr

Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2012, 07:32:47 PM
BTW, Dunkirk, Lille and Mons are still Spanish controlled, they just are protestant religion now. I'll fix it in my turn if nobody else does it first.

Oh yeah, the double colored spaces confused me too. 

That was a rough turn. :(

Viking

Quote from: sbr on October 26, 2012, 07:36:34 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 26, 2012, 07:32:47 PM

Oh yeah, the double colored spaces confused me too. 

That was a rough turn. :(

yeah getting 5 or 6 on 7 our of 8 dice is monstrously good even if the first 6 was a gimme, I assure you I consider this very much worth the price I will be paying for it.

Solmyr

Quote#24: 5 / Holy League

Message from France:
4 French influence to Papacy, then resolving Papacy and Venice.

The new Pope is again French, while the Venetians ally with the Emperor.