News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Function of stoning as a punishment

Started by Martinus, September 20, 2012, 09:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Other than being a particularly painful and nasty way to die, was there any additional function to stoning that made it preferable in certain cases to other forms of execution?

I mean, it appears to be present in many Mediterranean cultures of bronze and iron age, and was frequently used with respect to women, and not just for adultery (for example, Odoacer's wife was stoned to death by order of Theodoric). Is there any reason for that? I can only speculate that it being a form of execution usually performed collectively, by a group of people rather than a single executioner (and with no person being clearly the one who struck the killing blow) it could have been some measure of dividing/avoiding responsibility but I cannot think of any other particular justification for it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 20, 2012, 09:46:28 AM
I can only speculate that it being a form of execution usually performed collectively, by a group of people rather than a single executioner

Yeah, that's probably what the appeal was. Also, it's cheap and requires no specialized equipment, so small villages could join the fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

As well as responsibility for actually killing someone its also collective justice I guess.

And its pretty low tech and easy to do.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Do not forget the entertainment value of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 20, 2012, 10:19:52 AM
Do not forget the entertainment value of it.

This.

Don't forget that humans have a morbid fascination with executions (as long as they're not the ones getting whacked). France stopped having public beheadings in the 1930s exactly because massive crowds gathered to watch the executions, and beacuse members of the public still wanted to drench their handckerchiefs in the blood of the executed after the deed, even though it was already the XXth century.

(just think of what would happen if an execution was made public/aired live on TV today: the attendance would be enormous).

So, while executions were always a source of entertainment and example, stonings also provided a low-tech interactive experience, where everyone could see if they could hit the wretch at the wrong end of the throwing area. I suppose it was used mostly on women because stoning was done by males, adding a sort of sexual tension to it.

DGuller

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 20, 2012, 10:32:53 AM
(just think of what would happen if an execution was made public/aired live on TV today: the attendance would be enormous).
Not with lethal injections.  Yeah, watching at the heart rate monitor is soooo exciting.  :rolleyes:

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 20, 2012, 10:32:53 AM
So, while executions were always a source of entertainment and example, stonings also provided a low-tech interactive experience, where everyone could see if they could hit the wretch at the wrong end of the throwing area. I suppose it was used mostly on women because stoning was done by males, adding a sort of sexual tension to it.

A big part was guys getting their rocks off.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martim Silva

Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2012, 10:35:44 AM
Not with lethal injections.  Yeah, watching at the heart rate monitor is soooo exciting.  :rolleyes:

I admit that's not the coolest execution ever, and ratings would be better with an electric chair, but even so, I think even just waiting for the guy to croak, and seeing his anxietey, would make a lot of people watch it.

(just the thought 'it's not me' would give confort and internal pleasure to many)

Quote from: Alfred russel
A big part was guys getting their rocks off.

It was where hard rock started  :lol:

Viking

all that plus the participation effect you get by having the entire society take part.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on September 20, 2012, 10:47:36 AM
all that plus the participation effect you get by having the entire society take part.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point