News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cloud Atlas (Movie)

Started by Malthus, September 10, 2012, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 10, 2012, 11:38:47 AM
Pretentious and overproduced?  This may be my bag.

Pretentious films can be alright, as long as they're not too confusing and they don't drag.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

http://www.empireonline.com/features/guide-to-cloud-atlas/p2

The main actors and all the characters they play.

This is Tom Hanks as a mobster:

This is Halle Berry as a white woman:

This is Hugh Grant as a weirdo from a dystopain future:

This is Hugo Weaving as a female nurse:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on September 10, 2012, 10:00:59 AM
I just cannot imagine the people who made Matrix Reloaded and whatever the third Matrix film was called as creators of a visionary film.  I can see them fooling some into thinking that their shit is shinola, though.

The cast looks good, though.
I think you are correct.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on September 10, 2012, 03:00:33 PM
http://www.empireonline.com/features/guide-to-cloud-atlas/p2

The main actors and all the characters they play.

This is Tom Hanks as a mobster:

This is Halle Berry as a white woman:

This is Hugh Grant as a weirdo from a dystopain future:

This is Hugo Weaving as a female nurse:

No question, they had fun with the concept. The issue is going to be whether that translates into fun for the audience!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

The way the book is describes it kinda sounds similar to The Years of Rice and Salt, which I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 10, 2012, 05:09:23 PM
The way the book is describes it kinda sounds similar to The Years of Rice and Salt, which I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

:x :x :x :x :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 10, 2012, 05:20:48 PM
:mad:

Can't help it. Not a good work and once the author came in to talk to my class, I liked it even less.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

So he's not the best promoter for his book, eh?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on September 10, 2012, 05:57:58 PM
So he's not the best promoter for his book, eh?

He may be a great promoter. His target audience is people who, unlike garbon, hadn't already read the book. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

It looks like it could be a good film...but then I thought the same thing about "The Fountain", and this appears almost similar.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on September 10, 2012, 02:38:50 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 10, 2012, 02:26:12 PM
I'm intrigued and have ordered the book. If Gups and Malthus recommend it, it's good enough for me.

I'll be interested in your opinion.  I thought it was an interesting failure, myself.

Will do.

Malthus I skipped your post; I want to go into this book with little preconceptions, if possible. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 10, 2012, 06:09:50 PM
It looks like it could be a good film...but then I thought the same thing about "The Fountain", and this appears almost similar.
I will cop to liking The Fountain.

But you put Rachel Weisz in a movie, and I will watch it.  Has something to do with her amazing ass- I mean, her amazing talent.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2012, 10:24:12 AM

Don't need to read the book to recognize a pretentious, over-produced film targeted specifically for the masturbatory Timmay Assburger demo.

How did I get tagged as a fan of pretentious films?  :huh:

My tastes are famously low class.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on September 10, 2012, 02:18:03 PM
I eagerly await reviews because there's no way in Hell I'll go see a Wachowski Brother-Sister-It film sight-unseen.

Stay classy, bro.

Though in substance you've got a point.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)