News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books on the Plague

Started by Queequeg, August 27, 2012, 12:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Reading a book on the Plague-the Great Mortality by Kelly.  It's sensationalist, and a bit too focused on the (admittedly fascinating) drama of the period, and I don't think there's really been enough of an in-depth picture at the actual experience of having the plague yet, but it still is terrifying enough that I'm pretty sure this was the worst period in human history.  I can't even imagine the scale of the suffering, and all of the different forms of the disease-bubonic, septicemic, pneumonic-seem almost equally terrifying.  I couldn't imagine living with the disease for more than a few hours, and I'm really surprised there weren't more mass suicides on the onset of symptoms. 

Anyone know any other books on the subject?  Also interested in something on Syphilis. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

The Brain

Books, books on the Plague...

Nope, haven't read a book on the plague in years.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Not the time period you are looking for but Justinian's Flea was a good read on the impact of plague on the Byzanteens.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2012, 12:12:12 PM
Not the time period you are looking for but Justinian's Flea was a good read on the impact of plague on the Byzanteens.

Pretty sure no Byzanteen has ever died to a plague.  NOt even in the shitty Balkan countries alot of them live in.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

The Plague of Justinian was smallbox I believe.  It sounds like he is looking for info on the Black Death.
PDH!

The Brain

crazy canuck

Here is your chance to learn something on Languish.

QuoteThe Emperor Justinian reunified Rome's fractured empire by defeating the Goths and Vandals who had separated Italy, Spain, and North Africa from imperial rule. In his capital at Constantinople he built the world's most beautiful building, married its most powerful empress, and wrote its most enduring legal code, seemingly restoring Rome's fortunes for the next five hundred years. Then, in the summer of 542, he encountered a flea. The ensuing outbreak of bubonic plague killed five thousand people a day in Constantinople and nearly killed Justinian himself.

In Justinian's Flea, William Rosen tells the story of history's first pandemic—a plague seven centuries before the Black Death that killed tens of millions, devastated the empires of Persia and Rome, left a path of victims from Ireland to Iraq, and opened the way for the armies of Islam. Weaving together evolutionary microbiology, economics, military strategy, ecology, and ancient and modern medicine, Rosen offers a sweeping narrative of one of the great hinge moments in history, one that will appeal to readers of John Kelly's The Great Mortality, John Barry's The Great Influenza, and Jared Diamond's Collapse.

http://www.amazon.com/Justinians-Flea-Plague-Empire-Europe/dp/0670038555

Darth Wagtaros

He could not have held on to the West.  Even with Belisarius.  And I'ev read that the wars nearly depopulated Italy.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 30, 2012, 12:32:42 PM
He could not have held on to the West.  Even with Belisarius.  And I'ev read that the wars nearly depopulated Italy.

Says the guy who thought there was no plague... :P

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2012, 12:34:14 PM

"Plague" is inclusive. As long as smallbox is a virulent and dangerous disease he's fine.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2012, 12:34:14 PM

I said there was a p;lague. I had thought it was smallbox, not the bubonic plague.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on August 27, 2012, 12:47:52 AM
Anyone know any other books on the subject?  Also interested in something on Syphilis.

I hope you're not self-medicating.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?