News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jury: Samsung owes Apple one BILLION dollars

Started by Barrister, August 26, 2012, 10:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2012, 07:45:54 PM
I'm conflicted here.  Should I side with the dirty foreigners, or the company that makes products for pretentious idiots?

How about judging the case on the merits? :)

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2012, 07:54:04 PM
I'm conflicted here.  Should I side with the dirty foreigners, or the company that makes products for pretentious idiots?

Because the case has no merits?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2012, 07:54:04 PM

I don't understand them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

...in DirtyForeignerLand.  There's no real optimal solution here.

But yeah, it sounds like Apple's really stuck themselves out there.  Haven't leafed through anything formal yet, but it sounds like there's a good chance they'll not only lose an appeal by Samsung, but also lose a bunch of voided patents as well.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 26, 2012, 06:42:24 PM
Here is what the juror actually said to CNET:

Quote'After we debated that first patent — what was prior art — because we had a hard time believing there was no prior art, that there wasn't something out there before Apple. In fact we skipped that one so we could go on faster. It was bogging us down

Shouldn't that be grounds for a mistrial? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 26, 2012, 08:26:52 PM

...in DirtyForeignerLand.  There's no real optimal solution here.

But yeah, it sounds like Apple's really stuck themselves out there.  Haven't leafed through anything formal yet, but it sounds like there's a good chance they'll not only lose an appeal by Samsung, but also lose a bunch of voided patents as well.

Having lost at trial, I really have to disagree with "there's a good chance".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2012, 06:47:15 PM
Also, how in the world did this case end up being heard in Silicon Valley?

This is where the internet is located. :contract:

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2012, 10:48:58 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 26, 2012, 06:42:24 PM
Here is what the juror actually said to CNET:

Quote'After we debated that first patent — what was prior art — because we had a hard time believing there was no prior art, that there wasn't something out there before Apple. In fact we skipped that one so we could go on faster. It was bogging us down

Shouldn't that be grounds for a mistrial? :unsure:

I don't think so - unless having stupid, ignorant people on the jury is the grounds for mistrial. But then you should abolish popular juries altogether.

Syt

"Finally new buckets!"
Apple employees happy: the billions from Samsung arrive!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Germans should stick to what they do best (heavy industry and genocide) and leave humour to other nations.

Syt

Like I'll accept judgment on what is funny and what isn't from a Pole. Or a supposed lawyer. :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2012, 06:51:03 AM
Like I'll accept judgment on what is funny and what isn't from a Pole. Or a supposed lawyer. :rolleyes:

Poles and lawyers have lots of experience being involved in the telling of jokes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?