News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Memphis Meet 12/8/25

Started by Lettow77, August 25, 2012, 09:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

I met with the mild-mannered Alfred Russel after a leisurely walk in a calming rain, and we set off at once for Shiloh.

I had deliberately avoided the place's 150th anniversary, but on my return I felt a profound emotional impact, which I was able to set aside by speaking about variously this or that- deliberately non civil-war related topics. I cannot tell if this annoyed my guest, and hoped I was suitably entertaining. I found myself unable to for long escape the thought of the gallantry and tragedy of Shiloh, but did my best.

We spoke of this, that, andother things, and had some mediocre barbecue. I regret the tour was not centred more directly around the peerless offerings of the beautiful river city, but it was still good to see the grounds of Shiloh again.

I regret I don't have more interesting to say- I assume Alf's post will be more illuminating than mine.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

So, are there flying cars in 2025?

Eddie Teach

There were flying cars in the 70s. At least, James Bond had one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 25, 2012, 09:35:22 PM
So, are there flying cars in 2025?

I'm going to guess that's the way the Japanese write dates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Lettow was a very gracious guide to Shiloh yesterday.

A few things of interest:
--Lettow knows a lot about the civil war. Like, a real lot. My navigation system lost all functionality once we left Memphis and we didn't have a map. We realized we had gone awry when we entered Alabama. Using his knowledge of the regional area and its topography, which seemed to be derived from the Civil War, Lettow directed us basically directly to the battlefield. We never asked for directions. It was rather impressive. He was also as good as a personal guide at the battlefield, though with a few side conversations that would not be anticipated with a normal guide. At least I don't anticipate that my little pony or the potential for space venice comes up frequently in your vanilla Shiloh battlefield tour.
--A recurring theme of discussion was the comparative merit and contributions of different societies, especially those located in subsahara africa. We did not come to a consensus.  :)
--Did you know that there is a mississippian cultural site in the middle of the battlefield? I had no idea. Lettow seemed unimpressed, but this is an interest of mine so I was excited to see it.
--I shouldn't have suggested visiting Shiloh. Lettow is trying to move past the civil war, and I don't think visiting Shiloh helped things. We should have stayed in Memphis.
--I am a yankee that doesn't fit in with southwestern tennesse/northern mississippi.  :(
--Lettow seemed rather alarmed by the fact that I was meeting him and concerned about personal safety. He seemed surprised that the opposite wasn't true, and this suprised me to an extent.
-- O O Those represent two circles in a venn diagram. The first circle encompasses Lettow's interests, the second encompasses mine. Notice the lack of overlap. :) I am somewhat exaggerating, but just a bit.
--Lettow knows an immense amount about various Japanese subcultures. See the previous bullet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Crucially...Lettow, I forgot to get a list of restaurants in Memphis to try today (flying out this evening). Could you, or anyone that knows of a few in Memphis, post some recommendations? I'm just looking for the basic local cuisine.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Lettow77

Ah, um! There is any number of barbecue places- Corky's is well regarded.
Lou's Chicken is good stuff. These cover the primary twin pillars of Memphis Cuisine.

Syt

alfred, are you: Walking in Memphis?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Lettow77

A warning about Gus's: Their chicken is magnificent, and their sides are quite poor.

alfred russel

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 26, 2012, 08:53:59 AM
Ah, um! There is any number of barbecue places- Corky's is well regarded.
Lou's Chicken is good stuff. These cover the primary twin pillars of Memphis Cuisine.

Awesome--thanks Lettow. I will be able to brave poor sides, I imagine.

Scipio, I will try one place your place this evening.

alfred russel

Caliga

I approve of this thread.  At some point I need to get down to Memphis and environs (my cousin and his family live in Jackson, Tennessee), and I shall enlist Lettuce to take me on a tour of Shiloh and, time allowing, Vicksburg.  Closest battlefield I've been to in that area is Franklin. :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2012, 08:37:44 AM
--Lettow knows a lot about the civil war. Like, a real lot.

Good;  then every mention of Sherman is one more arrow in the heart of the South, and its stupid assed romanticism of a morally bankrupt society.