France approves law to cut illegal downloaders off the internet

Started by Syt, May 12, 2009, 01:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 02:29:26 PM
This is rather silly. In this day and age, the internet is an essential facility. It's like banning someone who didn't buy a ticket for a bus ride from using public transport.  :huh:

You can get by fine without the internet.  It's ridiculous to treat it like some basic human right.

Having said that, the law is stupid.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 02:29:26 PM
This is rather silly. In this day and age, the internet is an essential facility. It's like banning someone who didn't buy a ticket for a bus ride from using public transport.  :huh:

Maybe.

Or maybe its like suspending the drivers license of someone who frequently commits traffic violations.  (don't know about europe but they do that here in Yankistan).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

I assume that today all criminals who used the internet for their crimes are banned from the internet? Hmmm?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Norgy on May 12, 2009, 01:48:28 PM
How will this law be enforced without violating privacy?

That's one of the main concern. The others are: the utter incompetence of the people who have been in charge of the issue (who basically seem unable to actually understand what their law is about...), the incapacity of people sanctionned to actually disprove allegations and the desire to enforce other laws about negationism and hate speech out of the same ISP-and-email spying.

There is a 68 pages thread on the French Village des Fous if some of you are interested in seeing what they thnk about it.

Que le grand cric me croque !

DontSayBanana

Another thing is the technology isn't there. Unless France has paid off ICANN to alter their root server so that a national login system is used, they can only do this by gating IP addresses; if someone determined enough wanted to get around it, they'd just need to find another computer at another location to download from.

@Minsky: it's not exactly the same thing; with a suspended driver's license, one can still take public transportation to be self-reliant- however, if the French do public Internet access at libraries the same way we do, it's a safe bet that the network administrators would be pressured into denying those users public internet access as well.

Speaking of Frenchies, where's our boots on the ground? Whatever happened to Zoupa?

Experience bij!