And we're back!

Main Menu

Pakistan rapidly expanding its nuclear arsenal

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2009, 06:41:43 PM
Aliens want us to die; we die.
Keeping nukes as a alien defence is not just silly but insane.

If it comes down to it, we need the nukes to destroy the planet rather than allow it to be taken.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 06:50:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2009, 06:40:39 PM
Why would they want to mine the earth?  Of all the things an advanced civilization might want with the Earth mining would seem pretty low.
Not a bad point.  Lifting all that material into space would be a huge waste of resources.
If they came for resources they'd just mine the asteroid belt, and either flatten us to get rid of the competition or sell us shiny space beads.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2009, 06:49:46 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 06:18:58 PM

It was the term Timmay used.
I don't know jack about Aliens.
Maybe a simple exploration ship is so far advanced that have the capability to nuke cities with their single energy weapon.
Technology is a bitch.
I wonder what a modern destroyer could have done against the entire Armada Invencible.
They would probably use kinetic energy weapons.
No they wouldn't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2009, 06:53:23 PM
Why would they want to mine the earth?  Of all the things an advanced civilization might want with the Earth mining would seem pretty low.
Not a bad point.  Lifting all that material into space would be a huge waste of resources.
If they came for resources they'd just mine the asteroid belt, and either flatten us to get rid of the competition or sell us shiny space beads.
We're not competition, and no interstellar species can be interested in commerce.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 06:54:56 PM

Maybe a simple exploration ship is so far advanced that have the capability to nuke cities with their single energy weapon.
Technology is a bitch.
I wonder what a modern destroyer could have done against the entire Armada Invencible.
No they wouldn't.
Why not, rods from God are cheaper then nukes, just as effective and cause no radiation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habsburg

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2009, 07:20:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 06:54:56 PM

Technology is a bitch.
No they wouldn't.
Why not, rods from God are cheaper then nukes, just as effective and cause no radiation.
That's true, but they'd never use them.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2009, 06:53:23 PM
We're not competition, and no interstellar species can be interested in commerce.

Why is that?

Trade seems to be a constant in all forms of civilization.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Maybe they have cheaper ways to lift stuff into orbit.

Space elevators come to mind.

Tonitrus

It would probably run out of ammunition.

Siege

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2009, 11:37:18 PM

It would probably run out of ammunition.

Destroyer have armor, right?
Can it just ram and cut in half a 16th century galleon?

We need to send this to the mythbusters.

saskganesh

aliens don't travel by physical means and they are already here. invasion and ... trade are out of the picture.  :P
humans were created in their own image

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 10:36:58 PM
Why is that?

Trade seems to be a constant in all forms of civilization.
Because we don't have anything to offer, and because an interstellar civilization will have had to have moved past buying and selling as the organizing principle of their economy.  The strictures of interstellar flight demand it.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 10:38:04 PM
Maybe they have cheaper ways to lift stuff into orbit.

Space elevators come to mind.
Too slow.  Also, there's nothing on Earth that could justify such a monumental effort or expense.