Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 12, 2009, 04:04:10 PM
How hard would it be to reprogram ICBMs to target Alien warships in low earth orbit?

Why do you think the Alien warships are going to be in low orbit?
They are going to hold at their maximum effective range, and nuke our cities one by one until we submit to their rule.
If we don't, then they'll just glass our planet and wait a couple centuries to come back and start mining our resources.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 05:59:55 PM
They are going to hold at their maximum effective range, and nuke our cities one by one until we submit to their rule.
If we don't, then they'll just glass our planet and wait a couple centuries to come back and start mining our resources.
What makes you think that aliens would have warships?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Why would aliens use something as inefficient as nuclear weapons? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 06:12:44 PM

It was the term Timmay used.
I don't know jack about Aliens.
Maybe a simple exploration ship is so far advanced that have the capability to nuke cities with their single energy weapon.
Technology is a bitch.
I wonder what a modern destroyer could have done against the entire Armada Invencible.

Siege

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2009, 06:12:56 PM

Energy weapons with an output big enough can have the same effect of nukes.

garbon

Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 06:20:37 PM

That's nice, so are you going to answer my question?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2009, 06:22:15 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 06:20:37 PM

That's nice, so are you going to answer my question?

I thought I did.
When I said nukes I was thinking in nuke-like capabilities, but not exactly nukes.
Who knows what other weapons of mass destruction exists out there and we don't know about them.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2009, 06:12:56 PM
Quickly applying thrust.  Large-scale earthmoving on planets.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 12, 2009, 06:12:44 PM

Why would they want to mine the earth?  Of all the things an advanced civilization might want with the Earth mining would seem pretty low.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Aliens want us to die; we die.
Keeping nukes as a alien defence is not just silly but insane.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 06:18:58 PM
Maybe a simple exploration ship is so far advanced that have the capability to nuke cities with their single energy weapon.
Technology is a bitch.
I wonder what a modern destroyer could have done against the entire Armada Invencible.
It's unlikely that a starship would use an energy weapon, especially one that could destroy a city.  Wasteful.  Inefficient.

Razgovory

Btw, how did alien invasion get involved in this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on May 12, 2009, 06:18:58 PM

Technology is a bitch.
They would probably use kinetic energy weapons.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2009, 06:40:39 PM
Why would they want to mine the earth?  Of all the things an advanced civilization might want with the Earth mining would seem pretty low.
Not a bad point.  Lifting all that material into space would be a huge waste of resources.