News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Lethality of Warfare

Started by jimmy olsen, August 22, 2012, 01:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Very interesting. I wonder if the Second Congo War or America's wars of the last decade would have any effect on those graphs? :hmm:

Gulf War 1 probably caused a spike in the defeated's graph.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/gabrmetz/gabr0022.htm

QuoteDupuy notes that when measured against the nongunpowder weapons of antiquity and the Middle Ages, modern weapons, excluding nuclear weapons of course, have increased in lethality by a factor of 2,000. But while lethality has increased by a factor of 2,000, the dispersion of forces on the battlefield made possible by mechanization and the ability of fewer soldiers to deliver exponentially more firepower has increased by a factor of 4,000! The result, as Figure 1 demonstrates, has been that wars since 1865 have killed fewer soldiers as a percentage of the deployed combat force than was the case in previous wars. Except for the Napoleonic wars which utilized the tactical field formation of the packed marching column, every war since 1600 (Table 1) has resulted in fewer and fewer casualties as a percentage of the committed forces for both the victor and defeated.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I dunno, the Germans committed the whole city of Dresden on the night of 2/13/1945, and lost practically all of them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Just out of curiosity are we taking in to consideration that in modern warfare more and more soldiers who are deployed take part in non-combat duties or combat duties with significantly less risk then say a line infantry man?  If we were to compare say, a WWII era rifle company to a Civil War era rifle company would we see the same trend over a similar period of time?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

There is no way arabs only took 5% cassualties.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

HVC

you can't really compare this way. in the past basically you sent your whole army(or a large chunk there of) into pitched battle. Now you have many soldiers deployed, but not necissarily attacking all at once.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on August 22, 2012, 09:54:09 AM
There is no way arabs only took 5% cassualties.

Their armies ran backwards really fast.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I keep reading the thread title as "The Lethality of Welfare".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.