News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So about the "lottery" chests you find for which you need to buy special keys - anyone tried them out? The descriptions says it's only consumables in them?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

You'll occasionally get keys to drop that open them, otherwise you have to buy the keys using gems.  There isn't anything in them that's very exciting.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Ok so I don't know what I am doing wrong with my elementalist but playing one feels like a completely different game, compared to my guardian. I get creamed constantly and there is one boss in my personal quest (two levels lower than I am) that I died probably 10 times trying to kill.

Apparently, you are supposed to constantly switch attunements, but that sounds like a nightmare at least for the game style I prefer, so probably not going to continue playing him. I also like melee more than ranged, so while my elementalist sounded fun in theory, I don't really enjoy him.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on August 26, 2012, 12:14:38 PM
As I figured. :)

Yeah, I opened one chest and there was dye, an orb to revive you once and some other stuff.

Syt

I got a key (plus 40 iron ore and two green items I couldn't use but that had nice enhancements I pried off) for finishing the Plains of Ashford map. Contents were ok, I guess: 5 fine transmutation thingies, 5 strength boosters (5% for an hour), three potions that let me transform into a leopard for 15 minutes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

Anyone did the world event in the human starter zone yet? Pretty sweet little boss.

crazy canuck

Someone in chat summed it up nicely, these guys identified everything that was wrong in MMOs and fixed it.

Martinus

Yeah. :)

Ok so I created a mesmer - and totally loving it. With a sword and offhand set up, it's essentially a magical swashbuckler, fighting close range/melee and evading damage through creation of illusions and phantasms. And if you get bored you can always switch to a staff and be a proper mage.

Much easier to play than an elementalist. 

Syt

I have to say one of the more memorable classes to play in any MMO was the Herald of Xothli. Melee class with two hander, cloth armor only, and some pretty insane burst damage and a short demon form. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2012, 02:12:25 AM
I have to say one of the more memorable classes to play in any MMO was the Herald of Xothli. Melee class with two hander, cloth armor only, and some pretty insane burst damage and a short demon form. :lol:

Sounds cool. What game was that?

As for mesmer, he can use a two-hander too, but strangely enough this makes him a ranged aoe dpser, not a melee fighter. One handed swords are melee (with a pistol or another sword as an offhand, preferably).

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2012, 02:47:56 AM
Sounds cool. What game was that?

Age of Conan. Besides the twitchy combat it was pretty much your traditional MMORPG, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

Problems I've had after the first weekend:

Downtime Saturday morning.  Not that big a deal.

Trading House being borked.  That sucks.  Especially because...

They raised the cost of the items at crafting level 50.  Before it took ~5-6 mats for some of the inscriptions, now it takes 8.  When you are crafting level 50 you are probably around level 20 as a character, and have already moved past the areas that drop the mats that you need.  I can always go back to a lower level area I haven't done yet, which is still fun, but it injects a whiff of grind.

There's an event in Brisbane Wilderness that I had a hell of a lot of fun with in beta.  These Asura researchers open a gate and all sorts of different monsters come pouring out.  In the beta a couple of us had a great running battle between theses monsters and keeping the researchers alive (mostly as cannon fodder).  Now it looks like it is permanently camped by 20-30 people at least.  I don't know if it's become a location for bots or what.

I've heard complaints about queues for WvW, but I haven't played that in the release so no opinion.

Overall a pretty smooth launch I'd say, although I hope the trading house gets taken care of soon.

crazy canuck

I have played through the human beginning area with a couple toons now and had a different experience both times.  Even collecting the hearts was different both times because I did different tasks on each toon to achieve them.  I really like these dynamic events.  Some were the same but I saw different ones on each toon as well.

I think I am settling down to have the Engineer as my main toon.  Very squishy if I am out of cool downs but that adds some skill to play as I cant just face roll and survive.  The Guardian lost my interest for that reason.

Cecil

Have to say that they really need to fix the crafting drops. Try levelling tailoring or leatherworking in the Sylvari starter zone...impossible. In fact outside zones that are rich in humanoid mobs its damn hard to level those two while anything requiring ore/wood/food is a lot easier since that seems to be abundant just about everywhere.