News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

China and the US in the Future?

Started by Jacob, August 02, 2012, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What shape will US-China tension take in the next several decades?

"Oh shit, things just got real..." - aka World War style; a big, fat, destructive war.
2 (4.4%)
"Cold War" style - clear enmity, but no open conflict. Espionage, sabotage and even proxy wars, but not beyond that.
5 (11.1%)
"The Great Game" style - trying to take every advantage using every dirty trick, while pretending there is no conflict. Plenty of proxy conflicts, but none of them armed.
17 (37.8%)
"All about the money" - there's clear economic competition and some tension, but mostly it's just about doing business.
18 (40%)
"Special friendship" - tension will lessen, and the US and China will grow closer; like the EU and the US.
1 (2.2%)
Some other special option (like either or both of the countries will seize to be a significant power due to internal issues, or something else...)
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 02, 2012, 01:21:06 PM
This is not the nation that won World War II anymore. 

It is nation that stayed out of WWII until one of the Axis countries finally did something we couldn't ignore.  China will have to do something similar.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 02, 2012, 01:37:32 PM
It is nation that stayed out of WWII until one of the Axis countries finally did something we couldn't ignore.  China will have to do something similar.

Funny, I thought this nation's policy was never to allow another Pearl Harbor.

Well, guess what?  We're on our way.  And next time, it won't be battleships, so I suggest you stock up on the MREs and bottled water.  You're going to be without power for several months, courtesy of the PLA.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 02, 2012, 01:51:14 PM

Well, guess what?  We're on our way.  And next time, it won't be battleships, so I suggest you stock up on the MREs and bottled water.  You're going to be without power for several months, courtesy of the PLA.

Are we talking about the same nation that simultaneously thought it was a good idea to put our citizens in internment camps and treat women like 2nd class citizens and black people worse than dogs?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2012, 01:52:26 PM

Are we talking about the same nation that simultaneously thought it was a good idea to put our citizens in internment camps and treat women like 2nd class citizens and black people worse than dogs?

No. So there.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 02, 2012, 01:55:11 PM

No. So there.

Haha. Sorry, doesn't work that way. :D

Neil

You just had to take your rhetoric too far on the last one, didn't you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2012, 02:09:55 PM
You just had to take your rhetoric too far on the last one, didn't you?

Well I wasn't sure it seemed appropriate to lump the situation for women and African-Americans in the 50s as the same.

Razgovory

I don't think the CCP is going to be a permanent fixture in the world.  Eventually it will die or morph into something else.   The Chinese don't want a direct conflict with the US.  Sure they like annoying us, but I don't think they will go far enough to really do something to make us mad.   The Chinese aren't going to invade Taiwan.  At least not by sea.  Perhaps they will learn to walk walk there.

They do need to cut out their silly claims on other people's coasts, though.

In the end, I see them as trade rivals, but nor enemies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

China at the moment is on the crux of a critical point in its development. No longer is it the place to go for cheap mass labour. I've seen a bunch of different numbers, some claiming already its cheaper to build stuff in the west than China, others saying 4 years for the US, 5 years for Europe and 6 years for Japan (or maybe that was +1 onto all of those). What seems certain though is that China's rise is already slowing and unless it really shakes things up in the next few years its due to do a Japan.

So the future of China-US relations?
China doesn't have the money to try and compete militarily. Its all about business.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 02, 2012, 01:37:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2012, 01:25:30 PM
Stuxnet them then.

Stuxnet won't save the Taiwanese people.

too late to save the Taiwanese people; they already got the shaft from Chiang Kai-Shek.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 02, 2012, 01:03:50 PM
I'm voting Great Game. China is on shitty terms with pretty nearly all of its neighbours and is growing rapidly in power. It's all about the money now, but only because China still lags far behind the US in military might. This may change as relative power changes, which will increase tensions.

China doesnt need to play the Great Game.  Ownership of territory is no longer important.  Access to resources is the key to power and the Chinese are going the corporate route to achieve it.  I suppose it is a variant of "Its all about the money" and "The Great Game".

KRonn

China is very actively helping African countries with cash and infrastructure, and gaining access to lots of resources in return.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on August 02, 2012, 09:09:11 PM
China is very actively helping African countries with cash and infrastructure, and gaining access to lots of resources in return.

And they're figuring out what the Europeans, Americans and Soviets already found out ages ago:  Africa is a money sink.

Hell, even the Africans are getting annoyed with the Chinese.  That experiment won't last.

KRonn