News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where do atheists get their morals from?

Started by Viking, August 01, 2012, 02:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

pfft there are men who steal and squander fortunes over hot women. If she was hot enough you'd have taken it :P Hell, you foresaked your jewish culture for your wife. Obvioulsy she was hotter then annoying Trotsky woman :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Quote from: HVC on August 09, 2012, 10:07:16 AM
pfft there are men who steal and squander fortunes over hot women. If she was hot enough you'd have taken it :P Hell, you foresaked your jewish culture for your wife. Obvioulsy she was hotter then annoying Trotsky woman :D

She was under the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 09, 2012, 10:07:16 AM

It's not that I didn't want to, it is that I couldn't. After a while, faking an interest requires actually being into it. That I couldn't do, not even for hot-to-trotsky.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2012, 03:12:22 PM
what do you mean by militant. Define your terms.
Someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2012, 12:35:35 PM
Religious people are amusing.

Sometimes. Other times, they say stupid shit like that the earth is 6 to 9 thousands years old or that having Faith his the biggest luck of their lfie.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Phillip V

Here is a good recent book by the Dalai Lama. He proposes a way to lead an ethical, happy, and spiritual life beyond religion and offers a secular program of mental training for cultivating key human values.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Religion-Ethics-Whole-ebook/dp/B005LVQZ3E/

crazy canuck

Quote from: Phillip V on August 09, 2012, 02:15:32 PM
Here is a good recent book by the Dalai Lama. He proposes a way to lead an ethical, happy, and spiritual life beyond religion and offers a secular program of mental training for cultivating key human values.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Religion-Ethics-Whole-ebook/dp/B005LVQZ3E/

I wonder if the fact that Viking's head is now spinning makes him more or less Hott in Malthus' view?

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 09, 2012, 12:39:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2012, 12:35:35 PM
Religious people are amusing.

Sometimes. Other times, they say stupid shit like that the earth is 6 to 9 thousands years old or that having Faith his the biggest luck of their lfie.

Hey!  Everybody has a God sized hole in their life only God can fill!!!111
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2012, 04:56:43 PM
Yes. And I always immediately ask myself "how do I know if this stuff is allegory".

Because ancient people usually communicated allegorically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 09, 2012, 03:21:53 PM
I wonder if the fact that Viking's head is now spinning makes him more or less Hott in Malthus' view?

In point of fact, I have no idea if Viking is hott, should I wish to swing that way, as I've never seen his pic.  ;) The only guys I'd absolutely rule out sight unseen are ones who look like circus freaks - the unusually short or tall, that sort of thing.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2012, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2012, 04:10:55 PM
Moderate christians do not live as if god were real and jesus died for their sins.

This is probably true, but not for the reasons you think.

Did you ever ask yourself, just once, "what if this stuff is allegory", when reading the Bible?

Yes. And I always immediately ask myself "how do I know if this stuff is allegory".

What if nothing in the Torah (5 books of Moshe- First 5 books in your bible) was allegory.
What if everyhthing was literal?

How would that change your perception of the wold?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I think he'd still act the same, just arguing the opposite.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Siege on August 09, 2012, 04:55:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2012, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2012, 04:10:55 PM
Moderate christians do not live as if god were real and jesus died for their sins.

This is probably true, but not for the reasons you think.

Did you ever ask yourself, just once, "what if this stuff is allegory", when reading the Bible?

What if nothing in the Torah (5 books of Moshe- First 5 books in your bible) was allegory.

Whether they are literally true, allegorically true, or completely false (or some other possibility) has little to no effect on his world view if he doesn't believe them to be at least partly true.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on August 09, 2012, 04:55:59 PM

Then they'd be false, and could be disregarded.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.