News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I read Polish newspapers, contrary to what you might think - and if this was a raising phenomenon someone would have written about this. The NYP article is the first time I heard about such groups being more than a bunch of fringe weirdos (and that was also the way Polish media reported on it).

Syt

On the subject of laying a wreath at the Soviet War Memorial in London:
http://tass.ru/en/world/784237

QuoteAll our friends from CIS [Commonwealth of Independent State] countries and other countries will be there, along with our British partners, of course

"All our friends. And Britain." :lol:

Though apparently the ambassador didn't feel the need to add, "Our words are backed with nuclear weapons."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Are we talking about the Times or the Post now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2015, 02:17:00 AM
Though apparently the ambassador didn't feel the need to add, "Our words are backed with nuclear weapons."

Someone with Photoshop skillz needs to make a Civ1 meme with Gandhi's face replaced by Putin's. :)

Valmy

Well I am bummed my dreams of Marty drilling in an anti-Russian militia have not yet come to pass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 07:26:18 AM
Well I am bummed my dreams of Marty drilling in an anti-Russian militia have not yet come to pass.

The Swishy brigade
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 07:26:18 AM

But your dreams of seeing Marti argue that "if I'm not aware of it, it can't be true" have come to pass, so there's some consolation.  :console:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: Solmyr on March 23, 2015, 06:54:58 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2015, 02:17:00 AM

Someone with Photoshop skillz needs to make a Civ1 meme with Gandhi's face replaced by Putin's. :)

:D

Syt

So here's the Russian side of the Denmark story:

http://tass.ru/en/world/784466

QuoteDenmark unlikely to join NATO's missile shield — expert

The European Missile Defense System and its further deployment as an integral part of the US ballistic missile defense poses a threat to Russia's strategic nuclear forces

MOSCOW, March 23. /TASS/. Denmark is unlikely to join NATO's missile defense program, otherwise its ships will become a potential target for the Russian Armed Forces, Editor-in-Chief of the National Defense magazine Igor Korotchenko said on Monday.

Earlier, Latvian Foreign Minister Edgars Rinkevics voiced concern over an article by Russian Ambassador to Denmark Mikhail Vanin published by the Jyllands-Posten newspaper, in which the diplomat dwells on the possible negative effects of the move.

"I believe the Danish political and military leadership will weigh all potential risks and will eventually not join the programs that have a destabilizing effect on the international strategic stability," Korotchenko told TASS.

The expert noted that, if Denmark deployed the Aegis naval system as a component of the European missile defense shield, "it could be absolutely sure that its ships would become a potential target for the Russian precision weapons."

"Any NATO member country that has joined the European Missile Defense System by deploying on its territory ground infrastructures (command centers, interceptor sites, radar), and also having vessels equipped with the Aegis system should be aware that these facilities will be viewed as potential targets for the Russian Armed Forces," Korotchenko said.

According to him, this is due to the fact that the European Missile Defense System and its further deployment as an integral part of the US ballistic missile defense poses a threat to Russia's strategic nuclear forces.

Oddly, the article doesn't mention that the Russian ambassador threatened Denmark with nuclear weapons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

Seems like a backwards viewpoint. If they're worried about their ships being targeted in a war, isn't it better to have those ships and a defense system that will have some ability to respond in that war??   :hmm:   

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

We all know this Star Wars shit doesn't work anyways.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2015, 11:03:56 AM
We all know this Star Wars shit doesn't work anyways.

:yes: These technological terrors we have constructed are insignificant next to the power of the Force.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/news/article/russian-orthodox-priest-parental-violence-campaigns-are-anti-family/517976.html

QuoteRussian Orthodox Priest: Parental Violence Campaigns Are 'Anti-Family'

A Russian Orthodox archbishop who heads a patriarchal commission for children's and mothers' rights has criticized advocacy campaigns against domestic violence, arguing that they constitute "anti-family propaganda" and pose a threat to society.

Speaking with Russia's children's rights ombudsman, Pavel Astakhov, Archbishop Dmitry Smirnov said that public criticism of domestic violence raised distrust among family members and discredited traditional methods of discipline such as "parental punishment," according to a statement on the Russian Orthodox Church's website.

"Very often, unfortunately, to solve societal grievances we are offered a cure that is worse than the actual disease. This is exactly the case with campaigns against so-called 'domestic (or family) violence,'" Smirnov said, according to the statement.

Smirnov, who has served as a priest for nearly 35 years, added: "Instead of protecting children and women, we are allowing this anti-family propaganda, as a result of which family relationships are no longer seen as desirable, but as a threat."

He reasoned that campaigns warning against domestic violence lead society to perceive family relations not as sacred but as threatening, adding that just as the law protects society from harmful ideas and ideologies such as racism and Nazism, it should also protect the family unit from being undermined by public campaigns.

This is not the first time Smirnov has voiced his opposition to public discussions of domestic violence.

Last month, he cautioned against the signing of a Council of Europe convention on preventing and combating domestic abuse, saying it could run contrary to Russia's "national interests," according to a statement on the Church's website.

While data on domestic violence is scarce in Russia, statistics presented by the State Duma Committee on Public Health in 2012 showed that some 40 percent of all violent crimes in Russia were committed within families.

In his meeting with Astakhov on Friday, Smirnov said the family "in which a husband and wife are joined in marriage was and is the safest and best place for children to be raised."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quotepatriarchal commission for children's and mothers' rights

Lolz