And we're back!

Main Menu

New provisional 2-year marriages

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 23, 2012, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Mexico City

Mexico City Considers Temporary Marriage Licenses

'Til death do us part ... for two years? Mexico City lawmakers are proposing legislation that would allow newlyweds to apply for temporary marriage licenses, instead of making the plunge into wedded life a lifetime commitment.

The legislation's proponents argue that the hassle of divorce could be avoided by making these licenses an option, according to Reuters. The change to civil code was proposed this week and would allow couples to decide the length of the commitment, with two years as the minimum.

If couples are still enjoying wedded bliss when the contract ends, then they would be able to renew the license. And if they're unhappy, the contract expires and they are both free without going through a divorce.

"The proposal is, when the two-year period is up, if the relationship is not stable or harmonious, the contract simply ends," Leonoel Luna, the Mexico City assemblyman who co-authored the bill, told Reuters. "You wouldn't have to go through the torturous process of divorce."

The legislation has proved to be controversial in Mexico, the country with the second largest Catholic population in world, after Brazil.

"The reform is absurd. It contradicts the nature of marriage," Hugo Valdemar, spokesman for the Mexican archdiocese, told Reuters. "It's another one of these electoral theatrics the assembly tends to do that are irresponsible and immoral."

A vote is expected on the proposed legislation by the end of the year.

Mmmkay.  :hmm:

I wonder how they split the assets at expiration time.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Yeah it seems like they are missing why it is that divorces can end up so torturous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Is this only for gays? Because this does fuck up the institution of marriage.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2012, 03:41:50 PM

I don't see how.  It's a way for horny kids to shack up with a figleaf of respectability.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2012, 03:43:45 PM

I don't see how.  It's a way for horny kids to shack up with a figleaf of respectability.

See: my post about Iran.  That's precisely how it's used there.  IIRC you can get marriage contract that lasts as little as a couple of hours :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2012, 03:59:22 PM

See: my post about Iran.  That's precisely how it's used there.  IIRC you can get marriage contract that lasts as little as a couple of hours :D

That's just for whoring.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2012, 04:59:46 PM
I want legal polygamy.

More people to nag you, more mothers in law.  No thanks.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2012, 06:06:48 PM
I want legal polygamy.

I think you misunderstood.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

I want legal polygamy.

One of my Omani Operators told me I should become a muslim. I asked him why. He told me it was the best religion. I asked him if it was true. He said that wasn't important, in islam you can have many wives. I told him I didn't have one, why did I need permission for a second? He said I could have a second one later only if the first one is a muslim. He told me he was going to marry his second wife. I asked him how he liked having two mothers in law.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 23, 2012, 06:06:48 PM
I want legal polygamy.

That's easy enough to get around. Marry women whose mothers are dead or no longer in their lives.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2012, 08:48:17 PM
Marry women whose mothers are dead or no longer in their lives.

That's a whole other set of Jerry Springer Show problems.

Sheilbh

Agreed <_<
Let's bomb Russia!