So what's up with the Koch brothers (watching the Newsroom)

Started by Martinus, July 15, 2012, 01:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2012, 02:18:31 PM
I missed the news about the Koch brothers buying the Cato Institute.

Caused a huge ruckus in the libertarian crowd, mostly anti-Koch.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2012, 04:15:07 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2012, 01:29:50 AM
I thought it was pronounced so as to rhyme with "crotch."  That's how I've always heard it said. :unsure:

The Economist reported that Moveon.org was protesting at a Romney fundraiser in the Hamptons with a plane dragging a banner that said "Romney has a Koch habit."  The Economist agreed that it's pronounced Coke.

Hard to argue with both George Soros and The Economist.

What about Diet Koch?  Pronounced the same?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2012, 12:07:11 PM
Why the fuck would you pronounce ch as k?

Because most Anglophones have trouble with the voiceless uvular fricative.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

I always pronounce it like I would in German. Isn't there where it comes from?

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on July 16, 2012, 02:57:33 PM
I always pronounce it like I would in German. Isn't there where it comes from?

That's irrelevant, really - most names come from somewhere but insisting on pronouncing them according to some remote origin just does not work. "Obama" probably gets pronounced differently in Kenyan, but that's irrelevant.

MadImmortalMan

Rumor Sorkin fired the entire writing staff of The Newsroom except one. His girlfriend.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 20, 2012, 11:30:55 AM
Rumor Sorkin fired the entire writing staff of The Newsroom except one. His girlfriend.

Obviously the Koch brothers gave him a call.  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."