So what's up with the Koch brothers (watching the Newsroom)

Started by Martinus, July 15, 2012, 01:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2012, 05:09:52 PM
Also is the Newsroom as bad as it seems?
I think it depends a lot on how much you like Sorkin's TV work.  Emily Mortimer seems to have problem with Sorkin's rapid-fire style and the naivete and stupidity of some of the characters can be a bit troubling, but at least there's no character that is as unlikeable as the female lead on Studio 60.  It's not Sorkin's finest hour, but it's better than the sixth season of the West Wing.

I also feel some identification with the protagonist, as we're both Nixonian conservatives that have been left behind by movement conservatives devoted to fighting a lost culture war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

I find it ironic that Marty has so little knowledge of so many Big Kochs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 15, 2012, 06:09:36 PM

Sorry to piss on your parade, but it's pronounced Coke.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2012, 02:42:39 PM
Apparently, they are super-rich libertarians who (mistakenly) think they can control the right-wing mob for their own benefit.
Worked just fine so far.  They've managed to steer the public debate to the point where the question is how much the ri.., err, the job creators should be allowed to fuck the poor and the middle class, not whether it should be done at all.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2012, 06:21:02 PM

I thought it was pronounced so as to rhyme with "crotch."  That's how I've always heard it said. :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2012, 05:09:52 PM
Also is the Newsroom as bad as it seems?

I don't know. It's the first "normal" (i.e. not fantasy/scifi) show I have liked in a long time (I was utterly bored by Madmen for example and couldn't get into The Wire). I think it may be because characters are actually likable.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2012, 01:29:50 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2012, 06:21:02 PM

I thought it was pronounced so as to rhyme with "crotch."  That's how I've always heard it said. :unsure:
Same here
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Quote from: citizen k on July 15, 2012, 03:14:08 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2012, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2012, 02:43:26 PM
Oh, and I don't think you qualify as "rich man" if your finger is not in your country's politics.
:huh:

You think there is a "rich man" that has less influence than a poor?
Probably not. But that's completely unrelated to the question whether one can be a rich man without having "your fingers in your country's politics".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2012, 01:29:50 AM

The Economist reported that Moveon.org was protesting at a Romney fundraiser in the Hamptons with a plane dragging a banner that said "Romney has a Koch habit."  The Economist agreed that it's pronounced Coke.

Hard to argue with both George Soros and The Economist.

Tamas

I am sorry, but pronouncing it like "Koch" with the "ch" sounding like "h" in, say, "holster", make the name more jew-sounding, so I am pretty sure most people pronounce it like that :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2012, 04:24:16 AM
I am sorry, but pronouncing it like "Koch" with the "ch" sounding like "h" in, say, "holster", make the name more jew-sounding, so I am pretty sure most people pronounce it like that :P
First of all :blink:

Secondly the problems how you pronounce the 'o': cock or coke.  I think the 'ch' pronunciations would be either like a 'k' or like a Scottish 'ch' (like 'loch').  I think the latter is pretty rare in the US so would probably be a bit pretentious so it would just be a 'k'.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Both the Newsroom and Wikipedia pronounce it similar to "coke".

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2012, 04:24:16 AM

That's a rather interesting theory - that the proper pronounciation of a word is determined by how most people pronounce it. By this approach "sorry" is pronounced "solly".

Monoriu

How do the Kochs pronounce their own name?  That should be the correct pronounciation. 

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on July 16, 2012, 05:47:53 AM
How do the Kochs pronounce their own name?  That should be the correct pronounciation.

"Pronounciation"? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.