What is the most evil corporation in the world?

Started by Martinus, July 11, 2012, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: PRC on July 12, 2012, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 03:27:39 PM
Quote from: PRC on July 12, 2012, 03:02:48 PM
He can freelance blog for sites like http://www.arcticicehockey.com/ (Winnipeg Jet's blog and part of SBNation) which have Google's display network ads on the site and those generate revenue in the form of click-through commissions for the blogger. 

He can also setup his own blog and talk about whatever he wants... display those Google sponsored ads on his own site and collect the commissions on the clickthroughs, that's how bloggers make money.  It will be slow to start but if his content is good, if it has articles of interest that people want to read then the blog will become popular and that will help with his own exposure and being able to get more freelance jobs through traditional mediums.

All of those kinds of sites though seem to have contributors who are wannabe sports writers, or people trying to break into the business.

Yeah, so with your old mans background he should be a pro and do well right from the start!

Also on the Canucks version of that blog a few writers have been picked up as regulars with the local newspapers, the Vancouver Sun and the Province as well as Yahoo's Puck Daddy.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on July 12, 2012, 03:35:28 PM
Quote from: PRC on July 12, 2012, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 03:27:39 PM
Quote from: PRC on July 12, 2012, 03:02:48 PM
He can freelance blog for sites like http://www.arcticicehockey.com/ (Winnipeg Jet's blog and part of SBNation) which have Google's display network ads on the site and those generate revenue in the form of click-through commissions for the blogger. 

He can also setup his own blog and talk about whatever he wants... display those Google sponsored ads on his own site and collect the commissions on the clickthroughs, that's how bloggers make money.  It will be slow to start but if his content is good, if it has articles of interest that people want to read then the blog will become popular and that will help with his own exposure and being able to get more freelance jobs through traditional mediums.

All of those kinds of sites though seem to have contributors who are wannabe sports writers, or people trying to break into the business.

Yeah, so with your old mans background he should be a pro and do well right from the start!

Also on the Canucks version of that blog a few writers have been picked up as regulars with the local newspapers, the Vancouver Sun and the Province as well as Yahoo's Puck Daddy.

But look at it from his perspective.  He's been in the industry 40 years.  He doesn't feel like he should have to do that kind of stuff.  The local newspapers all know exactly who he is.  Hell he is the one who first hired the guy who is now the Jets beat writer for the Free Press.

Besides, as I pointed out, with the exception of doing some ongoing work for the Canadian Curling Association, he's been primarily an editor for 20 years.

But maybe I'm wrong - can you make significant coin on those kind of google ads?  Got any numbers you can throw my way?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Yeah, if your Dad is no longer really writing then blogging may not transition into regular freelance articles with newspapers, but if he has a particular hobby or interest that he knows really well it might literally pay for him to take up blogging about it.  I recall you mentioning he had a B&B?  That would be a great place to start, "how to run a B&B" blog I could see doing well. 

How much revenue all depends on how good the content is.  Amateur sites with really good content that fill a niche (for example: http://ana-white.com/ a stay at home mom who is a do-it-yourself furniture restorer / creator) can make excellent coin from ad revenue.  I don't know what she makes off her ads but my would guess it would be well over $5,000 a month.  She is a great case study in how to make money from blogging.  Because her site has really great free content and is a hit with women - she has advertising companies lining up to get their ads on her site. 

Going back to a "how to run a B&B" blog for your Dad... hoteliers, B&B operators and others would pay to see their ads on a site like that but the content has to be good.  Good content equals lots of visitors and lots of visitors equal advertisers wanting to pay you to promote them.