The other SCOTUS ruling: yeah, Citizens United can fuck states' rights, too

Started by CountDeMoney, June 26, 2012, 08:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 27, 2012, 03:52:28 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2012, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2012, 07:27:25 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2012, 02:27:50 PM
That Montana law sounds like the sort of idea you have of a Progressive, trust-busting, anti-corporate West.  It seems very of its time.
And it was, with the copper industry.
Unfortunately, it is again, now with the oil shale discoveries.  The energy industry barons just got confirmation that the state won't be able to stop them this time.
On the one hand, it's good that the court decided that US laws and your constitution applies to the States.  That way, states like Mississippi are kept from bringing back slavery, and Kansas isn't allowed to teach creationism and ban abortion.  On the other hand, it's a bad thing that a terrible, corrupt Supreme Court decision is being promulgated like this.
Yeah, I basically agree - though I doubt the decision's corrupt.

You think there's a lot of cash getting dumped into the Presidential campaign by anonymous Super PACs?  Wait until you see what kind of cash gets dumped into the Montana Public Service Commission races, now that the SCOTUS has overturned state law barring Citizens United nonsense.

Mitt Romney's campaign energy advisor is Harold Hamm, CEO of Continental Resources, and Forbes' 36th wealthiest man in America at over $11 Billion...think Romney's got a fucked up energy policy now by not having an energy policy, wait until his cronies bury the MPSC races with cash.

But the decision's not corrupt or anything. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2012, 07:18:49 AM
You think there's a lot of cash getting dumped into the Presidential campaign by anonymous Super PACs?  Wait until you see what kind of cash gets dumped into the Montana Public Service Commission races, now that the SCOTUS has overturned state law barring Citizens United nonsense.

Mitt Romney's campaign energy advisor is Harold Hamm, CEO of Continental Resources, and Forbes' 36th wealthiest man in America at over $11 Billion...think Romney's got a fucked up energy policy now by not having an energy policy, wait until his cronies bury the MPSC races with cash.

I'm not sure what influence you think either Romney or Hamm have on SC decisions.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 27, 2012, 07:24:21 AM
I'm not sure what influence you think either Romney or Hamm have on SC decisions.  :hmm:

I'm not sure where you get that I said that.  Didn't I just say the decision's not corrupt?

Not the SC, you knob. The SC simply opened the floodgates for them.  Citizens United now applies to the state level.  Yahoo.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2012, 07:28:47 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 27, 2012, 07:24:21 AM

I'm not sure where you get that I said that.  Didn't I just say the decision's not corrupt?

Not the SC, you knob. The SC simply opened the floodgates for them.  Citizens United now applies to the state level.  Yahoo.
It always did, except in Montana.  And even then, they couldn't really have thought that their law would hold up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2012, 07:18:49 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 27, 2012, 03:52:28 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2012, 08:34:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2012, 07:27:25 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 26, 2012, 02:27:50 PM
That Montana law sounds like the sort of idea you have of a Progressive, trust-busting, anti-corporate West.  It seems very of its time.
And it was, with the copper industry.
Unfortunately, it is again, now with the oil shale discoveries.  The energy industry barons just got confirmation that the state won't be able to stop them this time.
On the one hand, it's good that the court decided that US laws and your constitution applies to the States.  That way, states like Mississippi are kept from bringing back slavery, and Kansas isn't allowed to teach creationism and ban abortion.  On the other hand, it's a bad thing that a terrible, corrupt Supreme Court decision is being promulgated like this.
Yeah, I basically agree - though I doubt the decision's corrupt.

Again you might feel like that saying that about CU decision, but in this decision all they did was confirm that you can't opt out of the CU decision, which we already knew.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 08:10:38 AM
Again you might feel like that saying that about CU decision, but in this decision all they did was confirm that you can't opt out of the CU decision, which we already knew.

Yeah, it's the 1999 Commodities Act all over again.  Derivatives trading banned by the states for 100 years?  Fuck it! Now they can't! WHAT COULD HAPPEN

Yay for us.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2012, 08:14:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 08:10:38 AM

Yeah, it's the 1999 Commodities Act all over again.  Derivatives trading banned by the states for 100 years?  Fuck it! Now they can't! WHAT COULD HAPPEN

Yay for us.

Well wasn't CU decided saying that it was in violation of the free speech clause in the 1st amendment? Wouldn't that go back to what Ide said about how shocking it is that states can't take actions to violate the 1st amendment?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 08:18:29 AM
Well wasn't CU decided saying that it was in violation of the free speech clause in the 1st amendment? Wouldn't that go back to what Ide said about how shocking it is that states can't take actions to violate the 1st amendment?

I'm not bemoaning the constitutionality of the ruling--they've square-pegged constitutional round holes before successfully.  If cash = free speech, then hey, cash = free speech.  There's a democratic way around that.

Just so happens that this Court has, over the last 20 years, the unfortunate habit of not ruminating beyond the actual impacts of their rulings, unlike, say....the Warren and Burger SCOTUS.  Now THERE were Courts you could rely on. :P

Admiral Yi

Open question:

If you were completely free to rewrite the 1st Amendment, what would it say?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2012, 05:07:26 PM
Open question:

It would say exactly the same thing it now says.  If someone is retarded enough to think that it applies to corporations, then no amount of lawyering with the language is going to mitigate that disability.

Ed Anger

Open question:

I'd scratch out the press bit, or add a bunch of restrictions. I hate the press.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2012, 05:13:16 PM
It would say exactly the same thing it now says.  If someone is retarded enough to think that it applies to corporations, then no amount of lawyering with the language is going to mitigate that disability.

That's obviously not true.  It would take a minute amount of lawyering to guard against that risk.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2012, 05:22:09 PM
Open question:

I'd scratch out the press bit, or add a bunch of restrictions. I hate the press.

Without the press, what would we do on languish?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2012, 05:38:52 PMBTW Guller, tomorrow is pay day.
What about the bet with AR(?) on whether the odds shift in one direction or other?
Let's bomb Russia!