Hindsight 20/20: Iraq and Afghanistan: would you do it?

Started by Martinus, June 10, 2012, 02:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hindsight 10/10, taking into account all you know today and assuming things play out exactly the same, would you want the US to invade Iraq and Afghanistan?

Iraq: Yes, Afghanistan: Yes
10 (23.3%)
Iraq: No, Afghanistan: Yes
26 (60.5%)
Iraq: Yes, Afghanistan: No
1 (2.3%)
Iraq: No, Afghanistan: No
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Martinus

Assume it's early 2000s, but you know everything that will happen in the upcoming decade, including the global financial crisis and the Euro crisis, and assume that both wars (and indeed, all events in the world) play out exactly the same as they did during the 2000-2012 period. Would you want the US to go to war with Iraq and Afghanistan?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 02:25:07 AM
Assume it's early 2000s, but you know everything that will happen in the upcoming decade, including the global financial crisis and the Euro crisis, and assume that both wars (and indeed, all events in the world) play out exactly the same as they did during the 2000-2012 period. Would you want the US to go to war with Iraq and Afghanistan?

Wait, I voted before I read your unnuanced question.

I would for Afghanistan regardless of consequences because, you know, they attacked us; Iraq, yes, but not with the lack of funding.

Actually, if I'm back in 2001, I have $50,000 in capital, and I know what the markets are going to do, who gives a shit about Afghanistan or Iraq or the great recession?  Maybe you proles.  I'm fucking rich motherfuckers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Don't invade Iraq.  Special forces and air strikes to drive the Taliban out of Afghanistan, then leave.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2012, 02:59:46 AM
Special forces and air strikes to drive the Taliban out of Afghanistan, then leave.

Rinse and repeat?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Iraq, obviously no.  That was stupid, hindsight or no hindsight.  As for Afghanistan, knowing how futile nation-building would turn out to be in a stone age country, I would just focus on fucking up the Taliban with as little direct involvement and investment as possible.  Punish them as an example, but otherwise stay the hell out of that cesspit.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2012, 02:59:46 AM
Don't invade Iraq.  Special forces and air strikes to drive the Taliban out of Afghanistan, then leave.

Ditto. Save all the post-9/11 international street cred for action against Iran.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on June 10, 2012, 07:17:30 AM
Do both differently competently using hindsight.

That's not an option in this poll.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2012, 03:08:40 AM
Iraq, obviously no.  That was stupid, hindsight or no hindsight.  As for Afghanistan, knowing how futile nation-building would turn out to be in a stone age country, I would just focus on fucking up the Taliban with as little direct involvement and investment as possible.  Punish them as an example, but otherwise stay the hell out of that cesspit.

This.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney