News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russian Revolution Newsreels 1918/19 online

Started by Syt, June 08, 2012, 10:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Austrian filmmuseum is in possession of 14 newsreels from 1918/1919 Russia and put most of them online for viewing.

http://www.filmmuseum.at/jart/prj3/filmmuseum/main.jart?rel=en&content-id=1336731140070&reserve-mode=active

QuoteThe Kinonedelja (Kino-Week) newsreels constitute the first films of Dziga Vertov.

A total of 43 issues, each containing an average of 5 to 7 different items, were produced between May 1918 and June 1919. In the fall of 1918, Vertov joined the newsreel's ranks and soon took on full responsibility for the series, defining the content and structure of each issue. In some cases, Vertov even functioned as director of the newsreels. In the 1970s, the Austrian Film Museum received prints of 14 clearly identifiable issues of Kinonedelja from Sweden. The films provide an invaluable record of life in the young Soviet Russia, then in the throes of civil war.

In keeping with its tradition of publishing important works by Dziga Vertov digitally, the Film Museum has now made its complete Kinonedelja holdings available online. This marks the first presentation of moving images on the Film Museum's website.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.