Norwegian prison may hire friends for mass killer Anders Behring Breivik

Started by garbon, June 01, 2012, 08:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/norwegian-prison-may-hire-friends-mass-killer-anders-130546025.html

QuoteDetails of the gig were first reported by Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang, and later translated by other media outlets.

Breivik, a 33-year-old right-wing extremist, is currently on trial for bombing a government building in Oslo and going on a shooting rampage at a youth camp last summer. The massacre claimed 77 lives.

The director of the prison where Breivik could be housed said steps are being taken to keep him away from other inmates.

"Many of the measures surrounding Breivik are being created to avoid a hostage-taking, which would be the only way for him to get through all the different layers of security that have been established between him and freedom," Knut Bjarkeid told the paper.

But Norwegian law reportedly considers it cruel punishment to keep inmates in total isolation for long periods of time.

"We are planning a professional community around him, with employees and hired personnel," the warden said.

It was not reported how much the positions might pay.

His trial is expected to last until July. If found to be insane, AFP reports Breivik would instead be sent to a closed psychiatric ward.

'Friends' is clearly meant very loosely in that headline. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Not friends, but hiring people to play boardgames and bandy. Being shunned by everybody he is likely to encounter and the unsuitability of using guards to give him social grounding they expect to have to hire people to keep him from going stir-crazy (in addition to all his other kinds of crazy)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Kleves

I like how they essentially tell him that taking a hostage would be the best way to make his escape.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Barrister

Something doesn't add up in this story.

Having inmates who need to be segregated is nothing new.  A significant amount of prisoners right now are in protective seg.  Usually they can actually have contact with other segregation inmates.

But I've never heard of hiring people to associate with segregation inmates.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2012, 09:59:36 AM
Having inmates who need to be segregated is nothing new.  A significant amount of prisoners right now are in protective seg.  Usually they can actually have contact with other segregation inmates.

But I've never heard of hiring people to associate with segregation inmates.

It's possible even those in protect want to shank him at the first occasion.