Look at that hipster, in that mirror...(with working poll)

Started by Eddie Teach, May 20, 2012, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of the songs on the list do you recognize without looking up?

All of them!
1 (2.9%)
Most (15+)
1 (2.9%)
Half or more
4 (11.4%)
Several
2 (5.7%)
A couple
11 (31.4%)
I just heard this hip new song about shaking it like a polaroid picture
4 (11.4%)
Those kids and their rock & roll music :ultra:
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Queequeg

It's probably most accurate to say they exist on a spectrum-one of my best friends is a hipster scum-twink who isn't really in to bears and actually hates a lot of traditional gay culture more than I do. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on May 22, 2012, 02:06:21 PM
and actually hates a lot of traditional gay culture more than I do.

And we applaud you both for that.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 02:07:11 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 22, 2012, 02:06:21 PM
and actually hates a lot of traditional gay culture more than I do.

And we applaud you both for that.

I guess that depends what traditional gay culture is.  In SF, it is more of the "alternative"/bear type then anything else and that's supposedly the mecca of gaydom.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Maybe it is liking Judy Garland, Cher, Madonna, and Musicals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 02:22:04 PM

Maybe though that's just one axis as in you can end up with a bear who hates typical gay culture bits like the gym and etc but then likes that musical stuff.  Or you could end up with a bear who likes the gym but despises Cher. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 02:26:40 PM

Maybe though that's just one axis as in you can end up with a bear who hates typical gay culture bits like the gym and etc but then likes that musical stuff.  Or you could end up with a bear who likes the gym but despises Cher. :hmm:

You mean - gays aren't on an axis, but are all unique JUST LIKE REGULAR PEOPLE???
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2012, 02:47:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 02:26:40 PM

You mean - gays aren't on an axis, but are all unique JUST LIKE REGULAR PEOPLE???

Well I'm not sure I'd go that far.

DontSayBanana

I seem to be the only one who'll admit to recognizing them all (then again, I have to sell them all).  Not going to actively listen to any of this list, though.

Also, the current "real" hipster hits are Somebody I Used to Know by Gotye and Pumped Up Kicks by Fun.
Experience bij!

garbon

I don't think Gotye's song can really even count as hipster anymore. 220mil youtube views?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 03:01:06 PM
I don't think Gotye's song can really even count as hipster anymore. 220mil youtube views?

Same with Fun.  Guilty pleasure for them, and they're just starting to get annoyed about people "encroaching" on their turf when middle-aged husbands are buying two copies of Making Mirrors so they've got one for their wife and one for themselves.

And more stereotype-busting?  The metalheads and left-over punk-rockers are WAY worse about the music snobbery.  The store manager and I get such a kick out of schooling those guys, like the pseudo-skinhead punker who doesn't understand why we don't carry Screwdriver.
Experience bij!

garbon

Isn't Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People? :P  I really dislike that song. Actually, I really dislike Fun's We Are Young as well. :(

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 03:09:35 PM
Isn't Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People? :P  I really dislike that song. Actually, I really dislike Fun's We Are Young as well. :(

:face: Ouch.  You're right.  They kinda blur to me; hipsters with megaphones (Foster the People) and/or a need to see a speech pathologist (Fun.).  With We Are Young, I've started surveying people to see what they think the line after "So let's set the world on fire" is. :P
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 09:30:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2012, 09:28:43 AM
You know, I've never seen a hipster.

Dude, you've rarely seen sunlight.

All he needs to do to see a hipster is watch some vlogs on youtube.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 22, 2012, 02:55:27 PM
Also, the current "real" hipster hits are Somebody I Used to Know by Gotye and Pumped Up Kicks by Fun(sic).

I like both those songs.  :lol:

Also, the Black Keys have some good ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Warspite

Pumped Up Kicks can't be hipster, it's on the BBC's Sunday night football (soccer) highlights programme for god's sake.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA