Look at that hipster, in that mirror...(with working poll)

Started by Eddie Teach, May 20, 2012, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of the songs on the list do you recognize without looking up?

All of them!
1 (2.9%)
Most (15+)
1 (2.9%)
Half or more
4 (11.4%)
Several
2 (5.7%)
A couple
11 (31.4%)
I just heard this hip new song about shaking it like a polaroid picture
4 (11.4%)
Those kids and their rock & roll music :ultra:
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Well, ok, I was basing it almost entirely on the "Somebody I Used to Know" video, and I got a little excited.  Just look at that hair. :wub:

And I said "white," which narrows the competition, considerably.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 23, 2012, 12:08:07 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 22, 2012, 11:47:30 PM
You're thinking of that horrible "We Are Young" thing, which is one of the most pandering pieces of shit I've ever heard (I will concede it's catchy); to the extent that I think I've already heard it on a Goddamned car commercial.  "Pumped Up Kicks" is Foster the People, and, like that whole album, rather good (and "Houdini" is the shit).  "Pumped Up Kicks" is not, however, nearly as good a school shooting song as "I Don't Like Mondays," the Bob Geldoff/Bon Jovi version of which, of course, remains the gold standard by which all kids-gettin'-capped songs must be judged.

Oh, and Gotye and HOTTEST WHITE WOMAN ALIVE Kimbra's "Somebody I Used to Know" is pretty awesome.

I already conceded that one a little ways back, but yeah, notice I got the Gotye right and the other two wrong. :P

I wished to discuss "Pumped Up Kicks" in comparison to my favorite Boomtown Rats song, and also Foster the People more generally, and used your post as a springboard. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 12:03:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 03:01:06 PM
I don't think Gotye's song can really even count as hipster anymore. 220mil youtube views?

Yeah once your song appears on Glee it is all over.
And gets horrifyingly covered on the Voice in the UK.

But yeah I agree with MP hipsterism's very mainstream now it's far too easy to mock.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I will say, "Somebody I Used to Know" should've come out a year ago. -_-
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2012, 12:46:32 AM
I will say, "Somebody I Used to Know" should've come out a year ago. -_-
Check the timestamp on the video.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017