Israeli President travels with Air Canada instead of El Al

Started by viper37, May 07, 2012, 09:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

That made me smile :D 
Jewish stereotype about money... :D
Israeli President snubs own airline

QuoteThe 88-year-old Nobel Peace Prize laureate flew Air Canada because El Al wanted to charge him $5,000 to bring an oxygen tank on the flight to Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

But Québécois people would be willing to pay a 200%+ surcharge to bring basic medical equipment to fly with a specific airline?

Richard Hakluyt

Shimon Peres and Lauren Bacall are first cousins, not many people know that  :hmm:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2012, 10:03:01 AM
But Québécois people would be willing to pay a 200%+ surcharge to bring basic medical equipment to fly with a specific airline?

To where? That's included in the trips to Cuba.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 07, 2012, 10:12:07 AM
Shimon Peres and Lauren Bacall are first cousins, not many people know that  :hmm:

I gotta admit, I didn't.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

No.  They would be willing to pay a 200%+ surcharge to have bilingual service aboard a canadian airline ;)

But I was more concerned about the Jewish company surcharge for medical equipment.  They are the ones who look silly having their President fly on another airline.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2012, 12:34:45 PM
No.  They would be willing to pay a 200%+ surcharge to have bilingual service aboard a canadian airline ;)

But I was more concerned about the Jewish company surcharge for medical equipment.  They are the ones who look silly having their President fly on another airline.

The issue is almost certainly them being an Israeli company - creating heightened security concerns about bringing a potentially explosive medical device (oxygen cylinders) on a flight. Where they failed is in not making an exception for their own country's President.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 01:31:38 PM

The issue is almost certainly them being an Israeli company - creating heightened security concerns about bringing a potentially explosive medical device (oxygen cylinders) on a flight. Where they failed is in not making an exception for their own country's President.
that's a weird security measure though. if you're going to blow up a plane with you on it i'm sure an extra 5000 is the least of your concerns.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2012, 01:34:17 PM

that's a weird security measure though. if you're going to blow up a plane with you on it i'm sure an extra 5000 is the least of your concerns.

I rather suspect the extra cash is used to pay for (a) increased security & safety measures to ensure that the plane doesn't, in fact, blow up; and (b) increased insurance coverage in case it does.  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 10:22:21 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 07, 2012, 10:12:07 AM

I gotta admit, I didn't.

Huh, that's interesting.  Bogey porked a Jew.

viper37

The issue is almost certainly them being an Israeli company
really, it's one and the same in this case.  Unless there are Christian airline companies from Israel? ;)

And yeah, it was silly charging for their President.  Then again, it would be equally silly to make exceptions. 

And it's still silly to overcharge for medical equipment while other companies don't.  The increase in cost to watch over an oxygen bottle because they are an Israeli company can't be that much compared to the usual security concern because they are an Israeli airline company...  It's not like there's never been an attempt on El Al and real sudden like they need new security measures.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2012, 04:19:59 PM

really, it's one and the same in this case.  Unless there are Christian airline companies from Israel? ;)

There isn't a "Jewish" airline company from Israel, any more than British Airways is a "Christian" airline company, right?

QuoteAnd yeah, it was silly charging for their President.  Then again, it would be equally silly to make exceptions. 

And it's still silly to overcharge for medical equipment while other companies don't.  The increase in cost to watch over an oxygen bottle because they are an Israeli company can't be that much compared to the usual security concern because they are an Israeli airline company...  It's not like there's never been an attempt on El Al and real sudden like they need new security measures.

:hmm:

I take it you aren't familiar with the Israeli ... preoccupation ... with security?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 04:58:22 PM
  :hmm:

I take it you aren't familiar with the Israeli ... preoccupation ... with security?
I am.  But they are already proccupied with security.  It's not like a tank of oxygen is the only thing I can carry to blow up a plane.  So obviously, they already have security measures in place wich can cover the costs of checking an oxygen tank.  They probably have anti-bomb compartments on board the plane for such things.  The costs are already amortized over the regular cost of transportation, so why an extra for one medical unit?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 04:58:22 PM
There isn't a "Jewish" airline company from Israel, any more than British Airways is a "Christian" airline company, right?
El Al in principle offers only kosher in-flight meals and does not fly passengers on the Jewish Sabbath or religious holidays
[...]
The acquisition was funded by the government of Israel, the Jewish Agency, and other Jewish organizations.

It's run by Jewish people who happens to be Israeli.  It adheres to Jewish religious standards.  It was founded by Jewish organizations.  British Airways does fly passengers on Cristmas, on Sundays and other religious holydays.  It was not founded by Christian organizations.  Hence, it's not a Christian airline company.

And it happens there's a common stereotype about Jews and money.  You tell me you never heard of it, I won't believe you ;)
This particular stereotype is why the headline made me smile :)