Mobtown's signature pet, urbanite's fave accessory, ruled a dangerous breed

Started by CountDeMoney, May 02, 2012, 07:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuotePoodle euthanized after dog attack in Owings Mills
Poodle's owner says attacker was a pit bull

A teacup poodle was euthanized after she was attacked in Owings Mills by dog identified as a pit bull, a Baltimore County police spokeswoman said.

The poodle, named Chloe, was on a leash, walking with her owner, in the 8000 block of Greenspring Valley Road when she was bitten by another dog named Max, said police spokeswoman Cathy Batton.

The poodle's owner was bitten when she tried to break the two dogs apart, Batton said. She said the poodle's owner described the dog that attacked them as black lab pit bull mix.

After the attack, the poodle's owner told police her dog had to be euthanized at an animal hospital due to injuries from that attack, Batton said.

She said the second dog had strayed, along with a third dog, from a nearby home in the unit block of Championship Court. The third dog was only described as a brown dog, Batton said.

She did not release the dog owner's names saying the incident is still being investigated by county animal control.

A recent Maryland Court of Appeals decision in an attack in 2007 on a 10-year-old Towson boy singled out pit bull breeds as dangerous and therefore a greater liability for owners, whose dogs are found responsible in attacks

Critics of the ruling have called it misguided and said it will unfairly target dogs and their owners that are often misidentified as pit bulls. Instead, pit bull advocates said legislation should adopted and be based on a dog's behavior, not breed.

Caliga

My dog loves to bark at everyone who he can see from our property/his turf.  The other day I noticed that, when he sees someone but before he starts barking, he actually kicks at the ground with one of his hind legs like a bull getting ready to charge.  So cute :wub:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2012, 08:22:14 AM
My dog loves to bark at everyone who he can see from our property/his turf.  The other day I noticed that, when he sees someone but before he starts barking, he actually kicks at the ground with one of his hind legs like a bull getting ready to charge.  So cute :wub:

I was about to say something but then I remembered that you run a meth lab out in the boonies so your undisciplined dog won't bother too many innocents.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2012, 08:22:14 AM

My pug used to do that. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

And it continues...

QuotePit bull owners say neighborhood ban won't make them part with dogs
Housing cooperative must respond to court challenge to policy by Sept. 19

Since Shelly Kizina adopted her pit bull Jada four years ago after finding the dog abused and tied to a tree in North Carolina, the Northeast Baltimore resident and her pet have been practically inseparable, she said.

"I brought her here, and she's been like my best friend. She follows me everywhere," Kizina said on her porch in the Armistead Gardens neighborhood Sunday, as family members watched the Ravens game inside and Jada sat by her side.

That Armistead Homes Corp., which manages the low-income housing cooperative, has demanded Kizina and other neighborhood residents with pit bulls get rid of their pets is "insane," Kizina said.

"I don't care what they do," Kizina said. "I'll sell my house before I get rid of my dog."

Whether Kizina will have to make that choice is unclear.

Armistead Homes sent a letter to all neighborhood residents last month telling them to either get rid of their purebred and mixed pit bulls or face eviction, following a ruling by the Maryland Court of Appeals that purebred pit bulls are "inherently dangerous" and that landlords could potentially be liable if a pit bull attacks a person on their property.

But on Wednesday, another resident and pit bull owner, Joseph Weigel, filed a complaint in federal court saying the appeals court unconstitutionally disregarded his property rights by making him choose between his home and pet. Weigel is suing the state, asking for relief from the court's order and a judgment that the order is unconstitutional. He is also suing Armistead Homes, in hopes the federal court will bar it from enforcing its pit bull policy.

According to Weigel's attorney, Charles H. Edwards, of the Law Office of Barry R. Glazer, Armistead has until Wednesday to respond to the request for a temporary stay on evicting residents, and the state has until Sept. 27 to respond to the request for a temporary restraining order against the appeals court's decision.

Kizina and her two sisters, Paula Burke and Amber Craig, who also live in the neighborhood, said they hope Weigel is successful and the neighborhood policy is overturned.

"It's going to cause problems not just with the dogs, but with the entire neighborhood," Burke said.

Said Kizina: "It's going to cause an uproar.

Edwards said the policy would affect as many as 500 animals in the Armistead Gardens neighborhood. Craig, who said she adopted her own 5-year-old mixed pit bull Leia from an abusive situation that left a scar across the dog's snout, said there are many neighbors with pit bulls that aren't causing any trouble.

Leia and Jada are "both scared of their own shadows," Craig said. "I'm not getting rid of my dog. She's a member of the family."

Kizina, who has a sticker that reads "My Pit Bull is Family" on her mailbox, said she's waiting to see whether Armistead will enforce the rule but is somewhat confused by its use — like the court's use — of the colloquial term "pit bull." Jada is officially a Staffordshire bull terrier.

Kizina said that if the policy is upheld, already overwhelmed shelters will be inundated with animals and have to euthanize them.

"It's not fair," she said, running her hand along Jada's back as the dog looked up at her sheepishly, a mix of kids, Chihuahuas and Kizina's cat Chewy all around her. "She's getting the blunt end of the stick, and she didn't do anything."

Sophie Scholl

I'd much rather they banned all of the little piece of shit breeds.  The ones whose sole purpose seems to be to bark incessantly for no seeming purpose.  The little "yip, yip, yip" that drowns out nice afternoons and evenings.  They also seem to be the most aggressive, they simply suck at it due to their size.  Not through lack of effort though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 17, 2012, 12:13:38 AM
I'd much rather they banned all of the little piece of shit breeds.  The ones whose sole purpose seems to be to bark incessantly for no seeming purpose.  The little "yip, yip, yip" that drowns out nice afternoons and evenings.  They also seem to be the most aggressive, they simply suck at it due to their size.  Not through lack of effort though.

There's somebody around here--I haven't located them yet--that has two little ass dogs, one of which sounds like he's going through a wood chipper ever morning.  You've never heard a more annoying bark.  More of a sausage grinder howl, though.  Every.  Fucking.  Morning.
If I find him, I'm detonating him.