Sweden's quest to achieve a gender neutral society

Started by jimmy olsen, April 18, 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Seems to me this is just a slippage of terminology.  "Olympic class athlete" means something, "olympic class sport" does not.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2012, 12:45:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 12:35:15 PM
It doesn't even matter to me which came first.  In modern usage, curling is much more associated with hair than with some ice sport.

Not in Canada.  :Canuck:
Or anywhere.  When you Google 'Curling', you get the sport.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2012, 10:13:39 AM
It doesn't even matter to me which came first.  In modern usage, curling is much more associated with hair than with some ice sport.

Good point.  When I google "curling" I went through the first 100 links.  99 of them are for the sport of curling.  Only item 34 isa  non-sport hit (some movie called Curling, which also has nothing to do with hair).

I guess I'm open to the possibility that someone using google in a different country would get different results, but I doubt it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I'm guessing that's a function of sites associated with hair curling using curler, curled, or curls much more than curling.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 09:07:32 AM
As long as shooting's an Olympic sport I think all others are free from criticism.

I think "sport" is a wide enough term to include shooting, as well as curling, bowling, etc.  To me a sport is any competitive even that requires dexterity or physical ability (or some combination of both).

I wouldn't consider shooting or bowling to be athletic events, per se, but I think they are fairly classified as sports.  I would call curling semi-athletic.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Yet the sport is still widely mocked and derided, at least in part for its name.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2012, 11:49:23 AM

Yet the sport is still widely mocked and derided, at least in part for its name.

Within your house doesn't count as "widely mocked and derided".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 11:50:44 AM

Indeed. Most people either have never heard of it, or forget its existence as soon as the Winter Olympics end.  :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 11:50:44 AM

It ain't just my house. 

Actually, it's not mocked in my house at all.  Wife & kids have no idea what it is and I'm largely indifferent to it, though I'll watch it with some interest during the Olympics.

But I do know it's been the subject of a lot of jokes since its inclusion in the Olympics.  I just wish they had picked a better name.

Btw, have you guys tried googling "curlers"?  I don't see a lot of curling players show up in the results :P

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 10:29:13 AMGood point.  When I google "curling" I went through the first 100 links.  99 of them are for the sport of curling.  Only item 34 isa  non-sport hit (some movie called Curling, which also has nothing to do with hair).

I guess I'm open to the possibility that someone using google in a different country would get different results, but I doubt it.

While I'm on your side in the curling vs curling debate, I believe that google does tailor its hits to the information it has on its searcher so the results you get for curling might be different from those, say, a hair dresser might get.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 12:41:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 10:29:13 AMGood point.  When I google "curling" I went through the first 100 links.  99 of them are for the sport of curling.  Only item 34 isa  non-sport hit (some movie called Curling, which also has nothing to do with hair).

While I'm on your side in the curling vs curling debate, I believe that google does tailor its hits to the information it has on its searcher so the results you get for curling might be different from those, say, a hair dresser might get.

Which is why I mentioned that possibility, and was hoping someone else would try the same search.

By the way speiss, when I google curlers this is my first result:

www.curlerscorner.com/ - guess what kind of curlers they are talking about. :p

The results after that are about 60/40 for hair/sport.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 12:47:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 12:41:44 PM

Which is why I mentioned that possibility, and was hoping someone else would try the same search.

By the way speiss, when I google curlers this is my first result:

www.curlerscorner.com/ - guess what kind of curlers they are talking about. :p

The results after that are about 60/40 for hair/sport.

Well, I logged out of my gmail account so that I don't get my tailored search results, and out of the whole first page of results I get one related to the sport, and it's third from the bottom.  Second page has nothing related to the sport, neither does the third or fourth.  Almost everything is related to hair or eyelash curlers.

And here's my first result: http://www.target.com/s/curlers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive