John has a long mustache - Edward the Asshole plans to invade Normandy

Started by Ed Anger, April 08, 2012, 06:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2015, 06:55:52 PM
What exactly do you think Scotch-Irish are?
Scottish dudes who lived in Ulster, and then came to America.  Scottish != Anglo-Saxon. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2015, 07:48:02 PM
Scottish dudes who lived in Ulster, and then came to America.  Scottish != Anglo-Saxon. :hmm:

My understanding is they were a mixture of lowland Scots and northern English chavs.

Caliga

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, they were from the now more-or-less forgotten border culture, about 1/3 English IIRC - but the "English" and "Scots" within the group had far more in common with each other than with their compatriots.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2015, 07:55:40 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2015, 07:48:02 PM

My understanding is they were a mixture of lowland Scots and northern English chavs.
And lowland Scots are of Anglo-Saxon ancestry too.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on June 16, 2015, 12:51:42 PM
And lowland Scots are of Anglo-Saxon ancestry too.

No shit.  When did they move there, and when did they become lowland Scots (as opposed to chavs)?

Maximus

I believe lowland Scotland was part of one or more of the old Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms. Northumbria(?) So I guess they moved there around the same time as the rest of the Anglo-Saxons. They became Scots because they were part of the Kingdom of Scotland afaik.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2015, 02:16:14 AM
Yeah, they were from the now more-or-less forgotten border culture, about 1/3 English IIRC - but the "English" and "Scots" within the group had far more in common with each other than with their compatriots.

A part of my family comes from some shitty border scottish clan. Someone summarized what they did back in the day in some history: "They supplemented their income by taking livestock from the English side of the border. This border rustling stopped during wartime, however, when they dedicated themselves to the service of their king, which consisted of raiding into English territory."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2015, 04:56:06 PM
I hope you fucks are forced to watch Howard the Duck.

Bestiality with a young Lea Thompson = hott
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2015, 03:58:38 PM
Someone should tell the Republicans everyone who makes it to US soil is an Anglo-Saxon.  It might ease tensions around the immigration issue.

That crowd was hostile to immigrants even when they were anglo-saxons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2015, 04:56:06 PM
I hope you fucks are forced to watch Howard the Duck.

You're lucky, it was only recently released in France on DVD/Blu-ray (grab one for Ide).

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive